Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing arguments that contain space Post 302679279 by neutronscott on Monday 30th of July 2012 02:57:21 PM
Old 07-30-2012
Actually the quotes are not required there. When assigning to a variable var3=$3 is fine. But until you learn all the quoting rules, it is OK and a good idea to quote every expansion (anytime you use $).

That is the important part. Anytime you use var3 you should use it as "$var3". You quoted 'fun to work in unix' on the command line, and that was exactly what you need to do to fit all of it into $3.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing arguments

I'm trying to pass a filename, or all the files in the current directory to the ls command with a script. Unsuccessful so far, here are a few of my attempts: #!/bin/ksh read fname #if (( $# > 0 )); then $fname | ls -l #fi this produces a long listing of all the files in my current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments to an alias

I want to have an alias for the command fold -78 filename | lp How do I set my alias so that the argument passed is filename ?? alias lp='fold -78 | lp' then lp filename wont work cuase this is fold -78 | lp filename (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmcg
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing strings as arguments

Is it possible to pass a string as an argument from the command line? I know I can pass a word in but can I put a line of text in with spaces and fullstops or do I just put it in brackets or quotes so the compiler can differinate between the first argument and the second. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iago
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Arguments-Help

Hi, I have a script which adds the user credentials to an ldap server. Im passing the variables as below.. /path/my_script $uname $pwd $environ ${deposit} If i enter some special characters like ';' in $pwd, script returns an error which is set to display if the user enters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments

Hi I have a script to which I pass multiple arguments, for example lets say the script name is "abc". I run the script like ./abc def /file <directory location> In the above "def" is the first argument and "/file" is the second argument. I expect <directory location> that is passed after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments

I need to pass arguments to a shell script.My batch is calling some java program. ################# x=$1 y=$2 java -classpath program ################### if first parameter and second parameter is null then java -classpath program if first parameter is not null and second parameter is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnjx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to csh

I have noticed this thing using csh when passing arguments Suppose I call a csh script using ../Scripts/plot-model.csh -vmod="npt02-z30.vmod" -R="0/80/0/30" -c="0/4.5" -aspr="1:10" Somehow the " get removed when doing $argv ending up with -vmod=npt02-z30.vmod... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments at runtime

Hi .. Can any one please tell how to pass argument to shell script at runtime? I want to implement funcnality just like bc, where we can provide input while script is running and can be used later in the same script. Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunjalhg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a string and passing passing arguments to a while loop

I have an for loop that reads the following file cat param.cfg val1:env1:opt1 val2:env2:opt2 val3:env3:opt3 val4:env4:opt4 . . The for loop extracts the each line of the file so that at any one point, the value of i is val1:env1:opt1 etc... I would like to extract each... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments--Error

Hi, i have a file.txt with data Bangalore Chennai Hyd filename of the script is: new.sh result=`cat file.txt | grep $1` if then echo pass else echo fail fi i am executing the file in the cmd line as "sh new.sh Bangalore" o/p is pass if i give "sh new.sh delhi" o/p is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
6 Replies
page_util_quote(n)					      Parser generator tools						page_util_quote(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
page_util_quote - page character quoting utilities SYNOPSIS
package require page::util::quote ?0.1? package require snit ::page::util::quote::unquote char ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a few utility commands to convert characters into various forms. API
::page::util::quote::unquote char A character, as stored in an abstract syntax tree by a PEG processor (See the packages grammar::peg::interpreter, grammar::me, and their relations), i.e. in some quoted form, is converted into the equivalent Tcl character. The character is returned as the result of the command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser, will regenerate the character in question and is 7bit ASCII. The string is returned as the result of this command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser and will generate a human readable representation of the character in question. The string is returned as the result of this command. The string does not use any unprintable characters. It may use backslash-quoting. High UTF characters are quoted to avoid problems with the still prevalent ascii terminals. It is assumed that the string will be used in a double-quoted environment. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser when used within a Tcl comment. The string is returned as the result of this command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category page of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. KEYWORDS
page, parser generator, quoting, text processing CATEGORY
Page Parser Generator COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> page 1.0 page_util_quote(n)