Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Arrays and functions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Arrays and functions Post 302679135 by neutronscott on Monday 30th of July 2012 10:12:19 AM
Old 07-30-2012
There was help. Did you try the suggestions? If you did, it'd look something like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
fun() {
        # makes these local to the function.
        declare -i j z f i n=$1

j=$(( 1 + n ))
        z=1
        f=0

for (( i = 1; i < j; i++ ))
        do
                f=$(( j - i ))
                z=$(( z * f ))
        done

echo "$z" # THIS WAS YOUR PRIMARY FAULT!
}

echo "Number of factorials:"
read h

for (( i = 0; i < h; i++ ))
do
        echo "Enter the factor $i:"
        read d
        a[i]=$d
        b[i]=$(fun $d)
done

echo ${a[*]}
echo ${b[*]}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of functions

Hi my shell is tcsh can I have functions in my shell scripting? Is the below shell script correct. Can I have two functions and call one of them as required. ---------- echo "functions" f1 f1 () { echo "hello" } f2 () (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl functions and arrays

Hi, First I will tell my objective of this function (function one). I have a table for ex: id passwd name -- ------ ----- 1 fdhgfs werwer 2 fsdfs sdfsdf 3 sdfs sdfsdf 4 fdsfs dssdf . . . . . . The id, passwd and name are the arguments for another function say two. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mercuryshipzz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arrays between functions

Hi, I have a function that hold 3 arrayies. I need to pass them to another function as an input, for further use Could you please explain how to do that. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
5 Replies

4. Web Development

PHP arrays in arrays

PHP question... I have an SQL query that's pulled back user IDs as a set of columns. Rather than IDs, I want to use their names. So I have an array of columns $col with values 1,7,3,12 etc and I've got an array $person with values "Fred", "Bert", "Tom" etc So what I want to do is display the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

functions

I have korn shells where I want to create a function passing $1 to a function , determine my $STAT_ENV value, set the paths and return the paths for STATSH,STATPRM,STATSQR,STATSQL,STATCTL TO BE USED IN THE UNIX SCRIPT THE CALLED THE fucnction in the first place. Can someone tell me the best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TimHortons
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a little help with functions

I'm semi new to unix/linux and am trying to convert a program I wrote in C++ to a bash script. It's a program that prints Fibonacci's series. I have found scripts that will do it, but I'm trying persistently to get this one to work. The problem occurs when I try to return a value from the function.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glowworm
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with functions

Hi, I am exploring with defining functions in my BASH shell scripts. However, I am bit confused about how to pass parameters to my functions. I was under the impression that you must do something like the following: Define a function called "sample_function": function sample_function {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

i think i need functions ?

Hi, im making a little script but need some help Code i have so far is read -p 'Bot Nickname:' ecnick read -p 'Bot Username:' ecusername read -p 'Bot Realname:' ecrealname read -p 'Your Email:' ecemail echo '' echo Your bots nickname is set to $ecnick echo Your bots username is set to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gemster
2 Replies

9. Programming

question about int arrays and file pointer arrays

if i declare both but don't input any variables what values will the int array and file pointer array have on default, and if i want to reset any of the elements of both arrays to default, should i just set it to 0 or NULL or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)