Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting tcl/expect magic ssh dictionary password Post 302679121 by Vryali on Monday 30th of July 2012 09:42:09 AM
Old 07-30-2012
Kindly ensure you don't go and use this for malacious purposes. Bear in mind that most production environments will have some kind of log parsing program in place to catch (and sometimes blacklist) stuff like this.

Code:
1. How does expect knows when is typing of input possible (when I can invoke send) ?

It scans input as it comes, to actually view exactly what it's seeing and how it's responding add "exp_internal 1" to the top of the script. Beware, the output will be quite verbose.

Code:
eg. Is expect capable to process also text that appears on screen but (user) input is not expected (in normal circumstances) ?
- or in other words, how expect know if app has input available or requires user interaction or what is the correct name

As soon as it sees a matching regex/pattern it'll go ahead and send whatever is within the expect statement. If nothing matches it will literally wait forever or execute the timeout branch if you have one specified.

Code:
2. Does TCL=Expect ?
- or expect uses TCL ?

The latter.

Code:
3. Does expect supports some kind of looping
- eg. If same text appears on screen which will match "expect" pattern (requesting password) the different "send" action will be called (passing next element from array)?
- in other words: How to "expect" same pattern for several times but "send" another string

Use exp_continue and have it read the next line of your dictionary file in every attempt. It does also support looping.

Code:
4. Does expect supports something opposite to regexp, or negation of regexp ?
- eg. expecting some string in loop and calling send (passing password) but do another action if expect wont match string (password was guessed or chances expired)
- in other words: How to "expect" same pattern for several times and "send" another string but after not matching "expect"

You can expect multiple expressions, e.g

Code:
            spawn ssh ${SSHOpts} ${UserName}@${server}
            expect {
                "timed out" {
                    logWrite ${oFile} ${server} "ERROR: Timed out"
                    continue
                }
                "reset by peer" {
                    logWrite ${oFile} ${server} "ERROR: Connection reset"
                    continue
                }
                "failure in name resolution" {
                    logWrite ${oFile} ${server} "ERROR: Host not found"
                    wait
                    continue
                }
                "(yes/no)?" {
                    send "yes\r"
                    exp_continue
                }
                "*word:" {

Code:
5. In my situation, when I just want to know right password (connecting to server and after exiting) is command "interact" (or statement or whatever it is called) required ?

If you don't throw an interact it will close the spawn_id, in this case your SSH session, and it will disconnect you. Whether or not that's intended behavior is up to you.

Code:
6. What exactly does exp_continue doing ? It seems like if it wont wait for requested input until "send" is invoked, is there some timeout or something similar ?
- eg. is possible to invoke "exp_continue" to repeat "send" but with different arguments and when "expect" wont match the exp_continue will break ?

exp_continue doesn't ever break, it forces a re-evaluation of the previous expect statement. Definitely possible to send different things with this, as mentioned above.

Code:
7. Is possible to do some basic if else construction in input matching (in "expect")
- I would also handle following message "continue connecting yes/no"

Yes, as stated prior, expect supports regex matching and multiple patterns in a single expect statement.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect with tcl/tk

hai all, i have an tcl script in which i have been reading the DUT Command prompt of an cisco switch as DUT Command Prompt : cisco* and running the test case of stp now the problem is if i have given any blank space in between the cisco or at the startup then the Expect is not identifying the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjustudy
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expect/Tcl help?

Does anyone know of an expect/tcl forum that is as helpful as this one is for shell scripting? Or if anyone has any expect knowledge, can you please provide some guidance on how to write to a local error log based on output from a ssh session? I have something like this: foreach host... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl expect HELP

In the following "for" loop I assume the the script will expect "anyway", "first" NOT in any paticular order and send "yes" when there found, breaking out of the loop when "$prompt" is found. The way it is working is like 3 individual expect lines, and they MUST be in cronological order. ANY help... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave_m
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl/expect

Can someone identify what is the problem here?. no children while executing "exp_wait -nowait -i -1" (procedure "logOptions" line 45) invoked from within "logOptions" (procedure "doExecute" line 98) invoked from within "doExecute" (procedure "main" line 32) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: calsum
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with TCL/Expect in Solaris 5.3

I'm having this problem with a very simple tcl expect script that is running on Solaris 5.3 with TCL version 8.4.7 and expect version 5.0. below is the simplified version of the code snippet, which I think has everything to illustrate the problem, the full version is at the very bottom in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinchharmonic
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expect/Tcl help

hi, I am new in Expect. I have a question about expect timeout. suppose I have a structure of expect { ".."{ send"............"} timeout{ ............... } } The silly question is if I reach timeout, how can I store the error message showing on the screen to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allenxiao7
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Password to SSH without using expect in a Script

How can I pass password in SSH command without using expect in a shell program. I don't have expect installed on my Solaris server. #!/bin/bash ssh user@hotname (how to supply pass in script?:wall:) Experts please help its very urgent. Shrawan Kumar Sahu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss135r
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP or scp with password in a batch script without using SSH keys and expect script

Dear All, I have a requirement where I have to SFTP or SCP a file in a batch script. Unfortunately, the destination server setup is such that it doesn't allow for shell command line login. So, I am not able to set up SSH keys. My source server is having issues with Expect. So, unable to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss112233
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl / expect need to attempt telnet if failed ssh

Morning and Happy New Year to all. I am in a situation where I need to connect to a list of devices that are using either telnet or ssh. I want to try to telnet, if I receive any of the following I want to attempt ssh : "Connection refused" "Connection timed out" timeout expiration ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
3 Replies