Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk construct unfamiliar to me Post 302678563 by agama on Saturday 28th of July 2012 10:50:37 AM
Old 07-28-2012
It would be the expression for the next block like this:

Code:
awk '
   {
      for( i=2; i<=NF; i++ )
         if( $i == $1)
            $i = RS $i; 
   }

1 { print; }
' input-file

Obviously this is overkill, but it illustrates the short-cut that was taken.
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with looping construct

Hi all I have tried to search for this, but keep getting a MySQL db connect error, so am posing the question here, and taking a risk of incurring the wrath of the mods with my first post... I have the following test script: #!/bin/bash HTTPD=`/bin/ps -axcu | /usr/bin/grep httpd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikie
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh construct

Hi Guys, could someone tell me what this ksh construct does typeset -r PROG_PWD=${0%/*} does I understand the -r for readonly but I would very much appreciate a definitive account of what this will set $PROG_PWD to. If I run this at the cmd line it it gets set to /usr/bin but I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unfamiliar errors

I was checking my error logs today and ran into some errors I have not seen before maybe somebody has run into these before? /etc/cron.quarter-hourly/owusers.sh: Set effective gid to mail(12) failed! /usr/local/mailwatch/check_sendmail_relay.sh: line 8: thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcraul
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

if-else construct not working

Hi all, Sorry to ask this easy question but I am stuck. In a scenario i am executing one shell script which contains a if - else construct : if ; then echo $line $line >> successful_build.txt else $line >> failed_services.txt fi explaination : if the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error in the if construct

Hi can anyone tell me why is this code giving error mode=$1 if ] || ] then echo "MODES:" exit 1 fi Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unfamiliar array syntax

I recently was handed responsibility for a script which has array references that are new to me and I could use some help understanding them. Parts of the config file and script are included. This script collects backups from a jail server of the jails running on that host. Several jail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if-else construct

Hi all i have been trying to do a small 'question and answer' script using if-else statement and a combination of pipe. I have succeeded in allowing the user to login with user name and password stored in a sequence username/password in a file named "pass" like this: echo "please enter your... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arikutex
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Construct path

Hi, I need to construct the below path from the two available directory path, O/P /home/data/test/run/ht/WEB/HTML /home/data/test/run/ht/WEB/JSP /home/data/test/run/ht/WEB/CSS Path:1 ------ /home/data/test/run/ Path:2 ------ /home/data/share/app/01/lang/ht/WEB/HTML... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would I construct a (possibly simple) IF statement?

Hi all, I thought this would be simple, but I've been having a lot of trouble trying to write this IF statement, if I may ask for help pls: In BASH, how would I construct the if statement: Should ONLY be true if USEROPTscript=="yes"]] AND $mode=="INSTALL" /or/ $mode=="CHANGE" ]]... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmccoughlin
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)