Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with attaching mirrors
Operating Systems Solaris Help with attaching mirrors Post 302678545 by CJ007 on Saturday 28th of July 2012 08:35:49 AM
Old 07-28-2012
For mirroring it is always recommended to have disks of same size.If they have different cylinder, head, sector count or different size you will have to fiddle with sizing slices.

You should keep in mind that prtvtoc output for second disk should be same as that
of first disk.You have to keep the starting and end cylinders same for each slice.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reliant Unix and Disk Mirrors

Hi Folks, This is already posted on Disk & Memory, will post under expert incase there is someone here who has seen this before. This one has me a bit confused. I have a large system running Reliant 5.45 with an EMC 3930 disk array fibre attached. As part of our requirement I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
0 Replies

2. Solaris

DiskSuite: Breaking mirrors.

Ok, so I have a remote system (7 states away) that's using SDS to manage the two 18 gig disks. /, swap, /var, /home, and /opt. The mirroring procedure I created uses installboot to ensure there's a bootblk on both disks of an SDS mirror. The system has a problem booting (can't write to... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
21 Replies

3. Solaris

both mirrors in needs maintenance state.

Hi, Ii am facing the belwo problem: d50: Mirror Submirror 0: d30 State: Needs maintenance Submirror 1: d40 State: Needs maintenance Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel (default) Size: 212176648 blocks (101 GB) d30:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
3 Replies

4. Linux

Additional mirrors on centos

How can I add additional mirrors to my CENTOS distro, according to this page AdditionalResources/Repositories - CentOS Wiki there are few fedora project repositories I'd like to add any of them but I don't know how? Thank you in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0mrade
0 Replies

5. Linux

[Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Dear all, CentOS 6 After executing "yum update -y" command I am facing this error. Please help me out. thanks in advance. Full error & error code is given as follow: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Oneway mirrors

All, One-way mirror. Elements of the concat in Last-errd state. What would be the best way to correct it? metastat -s db2test -pc db2test/d220 p 5.0GB db2test/d200 db2test/d219 p 5.0GB db2test/d200 db2test/d218 p 5.0GB db2test/d200 db2test/d217 p 30GB db2test/d200... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Zpool with 3 2-way mirrors in a pool

I have a single zpool with 3 2-way mirrors ( 3 x 2 way vdevs) it has a degraded disk in mirror-2, I know I can suffer a single drive failure, but looking at this how many drive failures can this suffer before it is no good? On the face of it, I thought that I could lose a further 2 drives in each... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishface
4 Replies
newfs(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  newfs(8)

Name
       newfs - construct a new file system

Syntax
       /etc/newfs [ -N ] [ -n ] [ -v ] [ mkfs-options ] special disk-type

Description
       The command is a front-end to the program.  The program looks up the type of disk a file system is being created on in the disk description
       file calculates the appropriate parameters to use in calling then builds the file system by forking If the file system is a root partition,
       installs the necessary bootstrap program in the initial 16 sectors of the device.

If there is no disk description for the specified disk type in the file, the program will use the subroutine to derive disk geometry infor-
       mation from the controlling device driver.  This functionality is provided for MSCP and SCSI disks.

Options
       -N	 Runs in no update mode.  In this mode, will not write to

-n	 Prevents the bootstrap program from being installed.

-v	 Instructs to print out its actions, including the parameters passed to

Options which may be used to override default parameters passed to are:

-s size	 The size of the file system in sectors.

-b block-size
		 The block size of the file system in bytes.

-f frag-size
		 The fragment size of the file system in bytes.

-t #tracks/cylinder
       -c #cylinders/group
		 The number of cylinders per cylinder group in a file system.  The default value used is 16.

-m free space %
		 The percentage of space reserved from normal users; the minimum free space threshold.	The default value used is 10%.

-o optimization
		 Specifies whether the file system will optimize for space or for time.

-r revolutions/minute
		 The speed of the disk in revolutions per minute (normally 3600).

-S sector-size
		 The size of a sector in bytes (almost never anything but 512).

-i number of bytes per inode
		 This specifies the density of inodes in the file system.  The default is to create an inode for each 2048 bytes  of  data  space.
		 If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number should be used; to create more inodes a smaller number should be given.

Files
       For disk geometry and file system partition information

To actually build the file system

For boot strapping program

See Also
       disktab(5), fs(5), chpt(8), fsck(8), format(8v), creatediskbyname(3x), mkfs(8), tunefs(8)
       "A Fast File System for UNIX", Supplementary Documents, Volume 3: System Manager

newfs(8)