Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex to identify a full-stop as a sentence delimiter Post 302678445 by spacebar on Saturday 28th of July 2012 01:06:17 AM
Old 07-28-2012
Do you only want to match the period that is at the end before the (xxxxx)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to ask for a sentence and then count number of spaces in the sentence

Hi People, I need some Help to write a unix script that asks for a sentence to be typed out then with the sentence. Counts the number of spaces within the sentence and then echo's out "The Number Of Spaces In The Sentence is 4" as a example Thanks Danielle (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie101208
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take a full sentence and check the condition?

I have one input file and content of file is : --------------------------------------------------- Input.txt --------------------------------------------------- american express Bahnbau GmbH Bahnbau GmbH CRH Europe crh europe Helgeland Ferdigbetong AS... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaemo
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use Regex to identify / format a complex string

First of all, please have mercy on me. I am not a noob to programming, but I am about as noob as you can get with regex. That being said, I have a problem. I've got a string that looks something like this: Publication - Bob M. Jones, Tony X. Stark, and Fred D. Man, \"Really Awesome Article... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: egill
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify word in second position on a line

I am interested in finding a regex to find a word in second position on a line. The word in question is या I tried the following PERL EXPRESSION but it did not work: ] या or ^\W या But both gave Null results I am giving below a Sample file: देना या सौंपना=delegate तह जमना या... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify full path in argument

I have a small script to send copies of files to another computer used for tests but in the same location:pwd=`pwd` for i in "$@" do echo "rcp -p $i comp-2:$pwd/$i" rcp -p $i comp-2:$pwd/$i echo "Finished with $i" doneIs there a way I can check the parameter to see if it is a full... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sentence delimiter in perl: modifications needed

Hello, I found this Perl Script on the EuroParl website which does Sentence Splitting. #!/usr/bin/perl -w # Based on Preprocessor written by Philipp Koehn binmode(STDIN, ":utf8"); binmode(STDOUT, ":utf8"); binmode(STDERR, ":utf8"); use FindBin qw($Bin); use strict; my $mydir =... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify unique words in a dictionary database

Hello, I have a dictionary which I am building for the Open Source Community. The data structure is as under HEADWORD=PARTOFSPEECH=ENGLISH MEANING as shown in the example below अ=m=Prefix signifying negation. अँहँ=ind=Interjection expressing disapprobation. अं=int=An interjection... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify illegal characters in a perso-arabic database

I am working on Sindhi: a perso-Arabic script and since it shares the Unicode-block with over 400 other languages, quite often the database contains characters which are not wanted: illegal characters. I have identified the character set of Sindhi which is given below: For clarity's sake, each... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Regex to identify pattern

Hi In a file I have string in multiple lines. Like below: <?=test.getObjectName("L", "testTBL","D") ?> <?=test.getObjectName("L", "testTBL","testDB", "D") ?> I want to use regex to search for the pattern "<?=test.getObjectName...?>" If the parenthesis has 3 parameters then return 2nd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to identify delimiter to find and replace a string with sed?

I need to find and replace a date format in a SQL script with sed. The original lines are like this: ep.begin_date, ep.end_date, ep.facility_code, AND ep.begin_date <= '01-JUL-2019' ep.begin_date, ep.end_date, ep.facility_code, AND ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
15 Replies
style(1)						      General Commands Manual							  style(1)

Name
       style - analyze surface characteristics of a document

Syntax
       style [-ml] [-mm] [-a] [-e] [-l num] [-r num] [-p] [-P] file...

Description
       The command analyzes the surface characteristics of the writing style of a document.  It reports on readability, sentence length and struc-
       ture, word length and usage, verb type, and sentence openers.  Because runs before looking at the text, formatting header files	should	be
       included  as  part  of  the  input.  The default macro package -ms may be overridden with the flag -mm.	The flag -ml, which causes to skip
       lists, should be used if the document contains many lists of non-sentences.  The other options are used to locate  sentences  with  certain
       characteristics.

Options
       -a Displays all sentences with their length and readability index.

-e Displays all sentences that begin with an expletive.

-l num
	  Displays all sentences longer than num.

-ml
	  Skips lists in document.

-mm
	  Overrides the default macro package -ms.

-P Displays parts of speech of the words in the document.

-p Displays all sentences that contain a passive verb.

-r num
	  Displays all sentences whose readability index is greater than num.

Restrictions
       Use of non-standard formatting macros may cause incorrect sentence breaks.

See Also
       deroff(1), diction(1)

style(1)