Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sudo scripts conundrum
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sudo scripts conundrum Post 302678341 by delphys on Friday 27th of July 2012 03:27:43 PM
Old 07-27-2012
Quote:
It makes no sense to login as root locally before logging in as root somewhere else.
No I do not login locally as root..
However, I am in the sudoers to be root in Remote Boxes that I run scripts against.
Just to clarify, passwordless login to remote boxes for root was taken away
Thnx

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sudo in shell scripts

hi, I have a script abc in a machine xyz. which i can access by sudo su - user. that is i can login to xyz using my id and then switch to user and run the script. Now what i need to do is run the script from another script in machine xyz1. From xyz1 i can ssh to xyz using my id. Some one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvz
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Running Scripts With Parameters with sudo

Hello everyone, I'm new to the community so please bear with me if my terminology is not correct... I'm trying to configure /etc/sudoers so a specific user can run a script as root. My problem is I want to lock down what parameters the user can run the script against. The script in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyphex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask conundrum

Hi All, i was reading up on a umask question on this forum and have a question on this. the umask value on my home PC running on cygwin is 022. when i create a dir it defaults to permission 755, when i create a file it defaults to 644. Now it starts at 777 for dirs and 666 for files and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conundrum - Flexible way to strip extension

Hi, First post here. I have something that may prove to be difficult. I have the following files: Example1.0.0.tar.gz Example2.tar Example3.zip Example4.0.0.0.0.0.bzip2 I need to remove the file extensions and store as a variable so they look like this: Example1.0.0 Example2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spadez
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Physical Volume Create Conundrum

I want to start by saying I already resolved my issue but I want to understand why I am seeing what I am seeing. I have a server with a RAID controller two 500GB drives and six 600GB drives. The two 500GB drives are mirrored and have the OS installed on them. The six 600GB they wanted set as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem connect to a different server then do sudo login and finally run some scripts and get result

I have to write a shell script in my current linux server and I have to connect to a different server then do sudo login and finally run some scripts residing in a particular directory and get results back. I am starting to write my shell script as below but after I do ssh login it prompts for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

iptables conundrum

Ok, if youre reading this prepare yourself.(debian based os) so im trying to do this routing with ip tables, i need to forward/SNAT traffic from 192.168.111.1 to 10.10.10.250, the 192.x.x.x ips are being shoved into a honeyd like program called inetsim so its offline, 10.10.10.125 is connected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shocco
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Help in explaining this echo conundrum.

OSX 10.12.3, default bash terminal. Consider this code and note it is calling 'sh' inside the code... #!/bin/sh echo '1\n2\n2\n3\n5' > /tmp/text hexdump -C /tmp/text /bin/echo '1\n2\n3\n4\n5' > /tmp/text hexdump -C /tmp/text Now view the interactive mode below, note the underlying shell is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies
PAM_NOLOGIN(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						    PAM_NOLOGIN(8)

NAME
pam_nologin - Prevent non-root users from login SYNOPSIS
pam_nologin.so [file=/path/nologin] [successok] DESCRIPTION
pam_nologin is a PAM module that prevents users from logging into the system when /var/run/nologin or /etc/nologinexists. The contents of the file are displayed to the user. The pam_nologin module has no effect on the root user's ability to log in. OPTIONS
file=/path/nologin Use this file instead the default /var/run/nologin or /etc/nologin. successok Return PAM_SUCCESS if no file exists, the default is PAM_IGNORE. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The auth and acct module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTH_ERR The user is not root and /etc/nologin exists, so the user is not permitted to log in. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE This is the default return value. PAM_SUCCESS Success: either the user is root or the nologin file does not exist. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known to the underlying authentication module. EXAMPLES
The suggested usage for /etc/pam.d/login is: auth required pam_nologin.so NOTES
In order to make this module effective, all login methods should be secured by it. It should be used as a required method listed before any sufficient methods in order to get standard Unix nologin semantics. Note, the use of successok module argument causes the module to return PAM_SUCCESS and as such would break such a configuration - failing sufficient modules would lead to a successful login because the nologin module succeeded. SEE ALSO
nologin(5), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_nologin was written by Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_NOLOGIN(8)