Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Notification as popups when a file being written Post 302678271 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of July 2012 01:35:50 PM
Old 07-27-2012
So whenever anyone writes any file named .aqs, you want a notification?

It might be possible in C, on certain systems, but it's not really a shell scripting thing.

What's your system?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File being used/written

Hello, Which command in unix can tell whether a file is being used/written by another process. e.g. If one process is copying a very big file in some directory and there is another cronjob process which checks for a new file and in this directory and process the file. I want to check, if the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating on a file being written by another application

Hi, I have a directory that is used to store files generated by another application. Each file is huge and can take some time to produce. I am writing a shell script to check the names and dates of the files and do some functions on the ones that are not being written out. My question is, if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking a file is not being written to

Hello All I am attempting to write a shell script (bourne shell script) which will copy a tar'd and compressed file from a directory to a staging area but will not know whether the file is still open for write since files are being ftp's to my site at random times during the day. Once I am... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanejm
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How the /etc/passwd file is written when user does not have permission

Hi, /etc/passwd file has write permission only for the root user. Now when a normal user changes the its own password using passwd command, how this information has been written to the /etc/passwd file when the user is not having write permission to this file. ~santosh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh149
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

webinject - dealing with popups

Hello We have a webapp that launches a link in a popup. We need to use webinject to check the content of that popup but have been so far unsuccessful. We use webinject as a nagios plugin. Does anyone have any experience of using/configuring webinject and know if this is possible or not? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skewbie
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending something to output before being written to a file

Hi, I'm quite stuck with what I thought should've been simple but I just can't seem to do it. Firstly, I have the following done in bourne shell: cat datafile | tr '' '' >> newfile echo "$fullfilepath" >> newfile i want to have the output of that echo put on the same line as the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darkst
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply Password to already Written XLS File.

I need to apply password protection to a xls file.I had looked at SpreadSheet::WriteExcel but problem being i dont want to write the contents of file again as the formatting the file would be a pain. Is there way in which i write a entire file in one go , something like this ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

12. If an ‘88’ Record with BAI Code ‘902’ was found on input file and not written to Output file, re

This is my input file like this 03,105581,,015,+00000416418,,,901,+00000000148,,,922,+00000000354,,/ 49,+00000000000416920,00002/ 03,5313236,,015,+00231036992,,,045,+00231036992,,,901,+00000048428,,/ 88,100,+0000000000000,0000000,,400,+0000000000000,0000000,/ 88,902,+0000000079077,,/... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgoud
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy a binary file while the file is being written to by another process

Hello, Can I copy a binary file while the file is being written to by another process? Another process (program) “P1” creates and opens (for writing) binary file “ABC” on local disk. Process P1 continuously write into ABC file every couple of seconds, adding 512-byte blocks of data. ABC file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbuki
1 Replies

10. Programming

How to prevent a C++ program reading a file that is still being written to.?

Hi, Hopefully someone can help. We have a process that writes a file using Connect Direct to our local Solaris server and then our C++ program will pick up the file and process it. Unfortunately, because of the size of the file, the C++ program is processing the file before it has finished... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
7 Replies
RMF(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)