Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting open application with spaces in name [bash][OSX] Post 302678253 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of July 2012 01:24:30 PM
Old 07-27-2012
I don't think the contents of your variable are what you think they are.

1) Show your code, please, all of it.
2) Don't use 'path' or 'PATH' as variable names, PATH is a special variable controlling where commands are found, changing it will cause problems.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Help! What is best language to use to build OSX application?

Hi, We need to build an application for work that will run on OSX. It will be fairly simple, in which the user will use a mouse to grab objects on the screen and move them to a target location. The program will need to record information about accuracy and speed, and output that data at the end. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binarybabe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which application has a TCP socket open

If I do a netstat -a I can see all the sockets currently open, is there a way that I can tell which application is holding open these sockets ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphyboy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrading bash on Darwin (osx)

Hi, I have installed bash 3.2 via darwin ports, however when I try and change the shell i.e. chsh -s /opt/local/bin/bash is says its a non-standard shell? but if i run ./bash i get a new bash prompt with version 3.2? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open file with correct application

Can someone please help me with my bourne shell script. I am a struggling newbie. I need create a script that will read an argument from a command line, access a config file with application file types, and open the file with the correct application. The file needs to be able to handle file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3dtiger
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Check for open application

Hi there, Is there any command to check if a particular application is open on a mac? thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash and #1bin/sh command not found error on mac osx terminal/shell script

i am having a weird error on mac os x running some shell scripts. i am a complete newbie at this and this question concerns 2 scripts. one of which a friend of mine wrote (videochecker.sh) a couple weeks ago and it's been running fine on another machine. then last week i wrote capture.sh and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

bash script for dseditgroups in OSX

Hi there, Hope this isn't too complex of a script to try to make but this is what I'm trying to do. Create a new group and add local users that aren't admin to the group. So let's say the new group is 'cats' and 'dog' is the only admin on the machine. Let's say most machines only have one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stop.the.stupid
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

OSX, bash, cat with <<MARKER executing commands

I have a script that writes another script with cat >/usr/local/bin/myscript.sh <<EOF #!/bin/sh VAR=`run a command here` EOF Problem is, after this is run, I get: $ cat /usr/local/bin/myscript.sh #!/bin/sh VAR=result of command How do I stop that from happening with Macs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

OSX bash & expect

I have a script that must perform a 'sudo' operation on each of a number of hosts. I'm trying to get expect working so I only have to enter it once, and have run into a couple of issues. First, several examples suggest to use: /usr/bin/expect <<EOD spawn ssh -t $host /usr/bin/sudo -v... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
7 Replies
Env(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  Env(3pm)

NAME
Env - perl module that imports environment variables as scalars or arrays SYNOPSIS
use Env; use Env qw(PATH HOME TERM); use Env qw($SHELL @LD_LIBRARY_PATH); DESCRIPTION
Perl maintains environment variables in a special hash named %ENV. For when this access method is inconvenient, the Perl module "Env" allows environment variables to be treated as scalar or array variables. The "Env::import()" function ties environment variables with suitable names to global Perl variables with the same names. By default it ties all existing environment variables ("keys %ENV") to scalars. If the "import" function receives arguments, it takes them to be a list of variables to tie; it's okay if they don't yet exist. The scalar type prefix '$' is inferred for any element of this list not prefixed by '$' or '@'. Arrays are implemented in terms of "split" and "join", using $Config::Config{path_sep} as the delimiter. After an environment variable is tied, merely use it like a normal variable. You may access its value @path = split(/:/, $PATH); print join(" ", @LD_LIBRARY_PATH), " "; or modify it $PATH .= ":."; push @LD_LIBRARY_PATH, $dir; however you'd like. Bear in mind, however, that each access to a tied array variable requires splitting the environment variable's string anew. The code: use Env qw(@PATH); push @PATH, '.'; is equivalent to: use Env qw(PATH); $PATH .= ":."; except that if $ENV{PATH} started out empty, the second approach leaves it with the (odd) value "":."", but the first approach leaves it with ""."". To remove a tied environment variable from the environment, assign it the undefined value undef $PATH; undef @LD_LIBRARY_PATH; LIMITATIONS
On VMS systems, arrays tied to environment variables are read-only. Attempting to change anything will cause a warning. AUTHOR
Chip Salzenberg <chip@fin.uucp> and Gregor N. Purdy <gregor@focusresearch.com> perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Env(3pm)