Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Archive won't move
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Archive won't move Post 302678221 by neutronscott on Friday 27th of July 2012 12:34:38 PM
Old 07-27-2012
I cannot figure out what is in those arrays. Parsing ls into an array, and find into a string variable, is very likely to eventually break. It is best to operate using NUL delimited filenames printed from find. We can also have it print the date.

Code:
destprefix=/tmp/tars
find . -maxdepth 1 -type d -printf '%Ts %TY-%Tm %f\0' | sort -znk1 | while read -rd '' epoch date dir && ((max++ < 2))
do
    dest=$destprefix/$date
    echo mkdir -p "$dest"
    echo tar -zcvf "$dest/$dir.tar.gz" "$dir"
done

remove the echos if it prints what seems correct
This User Gave Thanks to neutronscott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why won't this Work?

hey programmers! 1-why won't gcc accept as an argument? i tried the recommendations on the man page of getch(),..etc. nothing worked. 2-why it won't see <iostream> && <fstream> even if i implemented the function as follow std::cout<<"..etc"<<endl; 3-after i type this code in it gives... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbabeli
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP 10.20 Won start

After I log ino the machine, a window pops up indicating that I should check that the HOSTNAME is the same in these three files /etc//rc.configd/netconf /etc/hosts /var/adm/inetd.sec How do I change the hostname in these files? Thanks, Mike h (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hutchin
1 Replies

3. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sample script to archive & move previous day syslog files

hi all. Please help me with archiving previous day syslog files. the files have no extension and have the format YYYY-MM-DD. I want to archive the file then move it to some other machine. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting from archive | compressing to new archive

Hi there, I have one huge archive (it's a system image). I need sometime to create smaller archives with only one or two file from my big archive. So I'm looking for a command that extracts files from an archive and pipe them to another one. I tried the following : tar -xzOf oldarchive.tgz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

6. AIX

xntpd won't stay up...

AIX 5.3-5300.09.06.1013 (AIX 5.3 TL9 SP6) # startsrc -s xntpd -a "-x" (with -x at the end of the xntpd line in /etc/rc.tcpip, too.) will run for 5-15 minutes, and then die. # errpt -a with a search on xntpd gives me this: ------------------------------------------------ LABEL: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dafydd2277
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive & move the file

I have a set of files in path /ifx01/etldata/lmt/ a.xml b.xml I have to archive & move these files to path /ifx01/etldata/archive ,so that not even the original files should exists. After acrhiving there should be no files in path /ifx01/etldata/lmt/ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadeeshn04
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files from dir and subdir to Archive with File name as complete path_filename

HI, I need to move all files from a dir & its all subdir to Archive folder which is indise dir only. and moved filename should changed to complete path ( Like Dir_subdir_subdir2_.._filename ). also all files names shoud capture in a file in order to mail I written below code ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: minijain7
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to archive logs and sftp to another archive server

Requirement: Under fuse application we have placeholders called containers; Every container has their logs under: <container1>/data/log/fuse.log <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.1 <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.XX <container2>/data/log/fuse.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun Goswami
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
WMEMCPY(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							WMEMCPY(3)

NAME
wmemcpy - copy an array of wide-characters SYNOPSIS
#include <wchar.h> wchar_t *wmemcpy(wchar_t *dest, const wchar_t *src, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The wmemcpy() function is the wide-character equivalent of the memcpy(3) function. It copies n wide characters from the array starting at src to the array starting at dest. The arrays may not overlap; use wmemmove(3) to copy between overlapping arrays. The programmer must ensure that there is room for at least n wide characters at dest. RETURN VALUE
wmemcpy() returns dest. CONFORMING TO
C99. SEE ALSO
memcpy(3), wcscpy(3), wmemmove(3), wmempcpy(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1999-07-25 WMEMCPY(3)