Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dd cloning of whole disk
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu dd cloning of whole disk Post 302678211 by Royalist on Friday 27th of July 2012 12:21:44 PM
Old 07-27-2012
Thanks for your opinion. The 'dd' results were returned although I didn't record the number of bytes copied, but it was vast. Today I have re-read 'usr1 kill recommendation and have made a definite note to use it next time. Thanks again. However, the process was clearly marked as 'sleeping' and I took that to mean that it was complete.
By the way - this not a GNU version so far as I can tell. It is Ubuntu 11.10.
'man dd_rescue' produces 'no manual entry'.
I really am very grateful for the trouble that you have taken. RoySmilie

Last edited by methyl; 08-03-2012 at 09:39 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Disk cloning

Hello everybody, :confused: I have to change the system disk on an old PC running SCO 5.0.5. The disk is up and running, this is a preventive action. My experience on UNIX is very limited and I look for the easyest solution to clone this unit. Is it possible with commands or through a clone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhachez
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Hpux Disk Cloning

hello, Anybody that has already running script or command that can disk clone the hpux machine thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk cloning using ufsrestore

I am using ufsdump and ufsrestore to clone the root disk on one of my servers. I would like to automate this as much as possible, but have run into a problem where it prompts for changing the owner/mode when it is complete. Any ideas for running this in the background and not being prompted? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patricko0317
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

cloning a server

I wish to clone a RedHat EL5 server. What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wazzu62
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem by cloning boot disk.

Hello guys! I use the Solaris 10 x86 machine. I need to clone the boot disk. Why, when I copy slice 1 - there is a following: # ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s1 | (cd /mnt && ufsrestore rf - ) DUMP: Warning - super-block on device `/dev/rdsk/c0d01` is corrupt - run fsck Dump: The Entire... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
6 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Automated disk cloning

Hi, I'm running Ubuntu on my laptop. To keep my data safe and easy disaster recovery as well I bought similar HDD to one installed in my laptop with higher capacity and using USB box I'm doing disk clone to it. So at any time I can replace disk and carry on with my work as before. I'm trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uvaio
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

HP-UX server cloning

Hello Friends, Am in requirement to clone a Live HP-UX server here's details OS: HpUX B-11.11 with mirrored LVM disks . S/ws: Remedy, XML engine, Annoysystem, Oracle All Oracle, XMl and Remedy data is on SAM LUN which is used for clustering . My requirement to create a clone server and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
10 Replies

9. Linux

Disk cloning ?

Dear All I needed to clone my disk to another hard drive . I did it as the following : #dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc But after a while, the procedure ended with the "writing to /dev/sdc input/output error" message. Can you please let me know how can I overcome this as the fdisk now returns as "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
1 Replies
creatediskbyname(3x)													      creatediskbyname(3x)

Name
       creatediskbyname - get the disk description associated with a file name

Syntax
       #include <disktab.h>

struct disktab *
       creatediskbyname(name)
       char *name;

Description
       The subroutine takes the name of the character device special file representing a disk device (for example, and returns a structure pointer
       describing its geometry information and the default disk partition tables.  It obtains this information by  polling  the  controlling  disk
       device driver.  The subroutine returns information only for MSCP and SCSI disks.

The file has the following form:
       #define DISKTAB	      "/etc/disktab"

struct  disktab {
	     char   *d_name;	      /* drive name */
	     char   *d_type;	      /* drive type */
	     int    d_secsize;	      /* sector size in bytes */
	     int    d_ntracks;	      /* # tracks/cylinder */
	     int    d_nsectors;       /* # sectors/track */
	     int    d_ncylinders;     /* # cylinders */
	     int    d_rpm;	      /* revolutions/minute */
	     struct partition {
		     int     p_size;   /* #sectors in partition */
		     short   p_bsize;  /* block size in bytes */
		     short   p_fsize;  /* frag size in bytes */
	       } d_partitions[8];
       };

struct  disktab *getdiskbyname();
       struct  disktab *creatediskbyname();

Diagnostics
       Successful completion of the subroutine returns a pointer to a valid disktab structure.	Failure of this subroutine returns a null pointer.
       The subroutine fails if it cannot obtain the necessary information from the device driver or disktab file.

A check is done to ensure that the disktab file exists and is readable.	This check ensures that the subroutine is not being called because
       the disktab file was accidentally removed.  If there is no disktab file, the subroutine fails.

The subroutine also fails if it cannot determine disk geometry attributes by polling the driver.  This can occur if the disk is not an MSCP
       or SCSI disk.  In some cases where the disk consists of removable media and the media is not loaded, the driver will be unable to determine
       disk attributes.

Restrictions
       The subroutine returns information only for MSCP and SCSI disks.

See Also
       getdiskbyname(3x), ra(4), rz(4), disktab(5)

creatediskbyname(3x)