Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX cpio deleting source files. Can't figure out why! Post 302677849 by methyl on Thursday 26th of July 2012 06:31:33 PM
Old 07-26-2012
Quote:
Well the dot in the destination wasn't originally there
Accuracy and full factual data is essential to diagnose this sort of fault.

First check that you do not have . in $PATH. This can give trouble if any executable file in the current working directory has the same name as a system command. If in doubt use absolute path names for commands in system scripts or set a custom $PATH specific to the script.

Incorrect use of asterisk characters in a command is more likely, and you probably ran some cleanup script by mistake.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

cpio - files > 2 GB

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cpio - files > 2gb

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Method to Unpack cpio files

Hi all, I want to unpack some files .Files and their sizes are: 1. Linux9i_Disk1.cpio -- 500m 2. Linux9i_Disk2.cpio--- 600m 3.Linux9i_Disk3.cpio---- 250m I used cpio -idmv Linux9i_Disk1.cpio command to unpack the files. But Its taking more time to unpack the files.What could be the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: William1482
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

cpio.cat.z files????

what are cpio.cat.z files??? Can I delete them??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldaliosmane
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX system.... deleting files in remote directory after retrieving files

Hi Friends, I am new to this , I am working on AIX system and my scenario is to retrive the files from remote system and remove the files from the remote system after retreving files. I can able to retrieve the files but Can't remove files in remote system. Please check my code and help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayparakala
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a shell script to extract the files from source file and check whether those files existonserve

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.Please help me on this.I am using solaris 10 OS and shell i am using is # echo $0 -sh My requirement is i have source file say makefile.I need to extract files with extensions (.c |.cxx |.h |.hxx |.sc) from the makefile.after doing so i need to check whether... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with change significant figure to normal figure command

Hi, Below is my input file: Long list of significant figure 1.757E-4 7.51E-3 5.634E-5 . . . Desired output file: 0.0001757 0.00751 0.00005634 . . . (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cpio all *.txt-files out of folders to just one directory

I need a hint for reading manpage (I did rtfm really) of cpio to do this task as in the headline described. I want to put all files of a certain type, lets say all *.txt files or any other format. Spread in more than hundreds of subdirectories in one directory I would like to select them and just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cpio - input files (from list) are stored in different order inside cpio archive - why?

Due to budget constraints I have to reinvent an Enterprise backup system in a SPARC (sun4v) Solaris estate (10 & 11). (yep - reinvent wheel, fun but time consuming. Is this wise?! :confused: ) For each filesystem of interest, to try to capture a 'catalog' at the front of each cpio archive (for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: am115998
1 Replies
cpio(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   cpio(4)

NAME
cpio - format of cpio archive DESCRIPTION
The header structure, when the option of is not used (see cpio(1)), is: When the option is used, the header information is described by: Longtime and Longfile are equivalent to and respectively. The contents of each file are recorded together with other items describing the file. Every instance of contains the constant 070707 (octal). The items through have meanings explained in stat(2). The length of the null-terminated path name including the null byte, is given by The last record of the archive always contains the name Directories and the trailer are recorded with equal to zero. It will not always be the case that and correspond to the results of but the values are always sufficient to tell whether two files in the archive are linked to each other. When a device special file is archived by HP-UX (using the option), contains a magic constant which is dependent upon the implementation doing the writing. flags the device file as an HP-UX 32-bit device specifier, and contains the 32-bit device specifier (see stat(2)). If the option is not present, special files are not archived or restored. Non-HPUX device special files are never restored. SEE ALSO
cpio(1), find(1), stat(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cpio(4)