Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Variables and math in Old skool Bourne Shell Post 302677237 by mr.rhtuner on Wednesday 25th of July 2012 07:07:25 PM
Old 07-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutronscott
Code:
X=`expr ...`

Thank you for the guidence.

I was able to get it.

Here is what I wrote out:

Code:
X=`expr 10 \+ 2 \* 7`
echo $X

'

So I got X as the variable holding the answer of 24....Thank you very much!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Math with user variables

Hi everybody: I have a problem about use variables. I 've created this variable: var=`wc -l file.txt | cut -c 1-2`; n_var="$var"-1 ; echo $n_var; In my case var is 8. When echo shows $n_var does not appear as I want. The question is how can I subtract, this is operate, to my variable.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonet
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can Any help me with the math on this shell script?

Develop a grade calculating program. This program will process all students in the file. This program should neatly display each field of each student's record *and* adds the following items: Course Average and Letter Grade. The course average is calculated by the following weights: 50% for quiz... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: knp808
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning two variables in bourne shell

there are two variables from a select query and these two variables has to assign in a update query . the two variables are two fields. How to assign without splitting by awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: razen
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Math problem using shell script

Have a bit complicated math query .. Basically i am given a number which is > 50 .. I am suppose to find the calculation to get a number which is equal or more than the input number and is also a multiple of any number between 20 - 30 . For example . Input number is 60 . Now 20x3 =60 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Math calculation over shell

Hi I am trying to calculate the rate at which something is happening. I have 2 files- a1 and b1. I want to calculate something like this ((wc -l a1)/(wc -l a1 + wc -l b1))*100 over a loop for different a and b. Is this possible, help me out fellas. Thanks a lot :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing math using user defined input and system environment variables

Hi, I need some help to setup some environmental variables. for example...Get A -> userdefined/user input B -> a number. c -> system variable...for example $GETCONF PAGE_SIZE E = do some math using bc display a message "The value is E" setup the system/kernel paramter sysctl -p... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
3 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

'Shell Shock' vulnerability in Bourne shell

A severe vulnerability was discovered in Bourne shell. Just google for: bash vulnerability ... for more details. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
5 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				      CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell SYNOPSIS
use CPANPLUS::Shell; # load the shell indicated by your # config -- defaults to # CPANPLUS::Shell::Default use CPANPLUS::Shell qw[Classic] # load CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic; my $ui = CPANPLUS::Shell->new(); my $name = $ui->which; # Find out what shell you loaded $ui->shell; # run the ui shell DESCRIPTION
This module is the generic loading (and base class) for all "CPANPLUS" shells. Through this module you can load any installed "CPANPLUS" shell. Just about all the functionality is provided by the shell that you have loaded, and not by this class (which merely functions as a generic loading class), so please consult the documentation of your shell of choice. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic, cpanp perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)