Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing "^M" from the end of a String (i.e. "Ctrl+M")? Post 302677127 by mrm5102 on Wednesday 25th of July 2012 02:50:51 PM
Old 07-25-2012
Removing "^M" from the end of a String (i.e. "Ctrl+M")?

Hello All,

I have an Expect script that ssh's to a remote server and runs some commands before exiting.
One of the commands I run is the "hostname" Command. After I run this command I save the output
using this line in the code below...

Basically it executes the hostname command, then I loop through the "$expect_out(buffer)" variable
line by line. The "$expect_out(buffer)" variable holds the output of the last "send" command, up to
the next "expected" ouput.
Code:
send -- "hostname\r"
expect {
    -re "^hostname.*\r.*" {
        set found 0
        foreach line [split $expect_out(buffer) "\n"] {
            if {$found == 1} {
                set host_name "$line"
                break
            }
            if {[regexp ".*hostname.*" $line]} {
                set found 1
                continue
            }
        }
        puts -nonewline "host_name = \"$host_name\"\n"
    timeout { exit 1 }
    default { exit 11 }
}

The reason I know that it's showing a "^M" at the end of that variable, is because I redirected the output
to a file on one of my tries, and while viewing the output in vi I was able to see the special characters.

And this is the output from the "puts" command. It shows like this below (notice the quotation mark is begin
moved to the start of that line.)...
Code:
"ost_name = "My-VM-Host

As you can see the last quotation mark is replacing the first character on the same line...

Any thoughts how I could get rid of this "^M" from my variable..? It would be VERY much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purpose of "read" and "$END$" in ksh ?

Hi, Could anyone please shed some light on the following script lines and what is it doing as it was written by an ex-administrator? cat $AMS/version|read a b verno d DBVer=$(/usr/bin/printf "%7s" $verno) I checked that the cat $AMS/version command returns following output: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbadmin100
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with "[" and "]" and "dot" within the search string

Hello. Following recommendations for one of my threads, this is working perfectly : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text 1" -e "some text 2" -e "some text 3" "/tmp/log_file.txt" ) Now I need a grep success for some thing like : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
puts(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   puts(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
puts - Write to a channel SYNOPSIS
puts ?-nonewline? ?channelId? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Writes the characters given by string to the channel given by channelId. ChannelId must be a channel identifier such as returned from a previous invocation of open or socket. It must have been opened for output. If no channelId is specified then it defaults to stdout. Puts normally outputs a newline character after string, but this feature may be suppressed by specifying the -nonewline switch. Newline characters in the output are translated by puts to platform-specific end-of-line sequences according to the current value of the -translation option for the channel (for example, on PCs newlines are normally replaced with carriage-return-linefeed sequences; on Macin- toshes newlines are normally replaced with carriage-returns). See the fconfigure manual entry for a discussion on ways in which fconfigure will alter output. Tcl buffers output internally, so characters written with puts may not appear immediately on the output file or device; Tcl will normally delay output until the buffer is full or the channel is closed. You can force output to appear immediately with the flush command. When the output buffer fills up, the puts command will normally block until all the buffered data has been accepted for output by the oper- ating system. If channelId is in nonblocking mode then the puts command will not block even if the operating system cannot accept the data. Instead, Tcl continues to buffer the data and writes it in the background as fast as the underlying file or device can accept it. The application must use the Tcl event loop for nonblocking output to work; otherwise Tcl never finds out that the file or device is ready for more output data. It is possible for an arbitrarily large amount of data to be buffered for a channel in nonblocking mode, which could consume a large amount of memory. To avoid wasting memory, nonblocking I/O should normally be used in an event-driven fashion with the fileevent command (don't invoke puts unless you have recently been notified via a file event that the channel is ready for more output data). SEE ALSO
file(n), fileevent(n) KEYWORDS
channel, newline, output, write Tcl 7.5 puts(n)