Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting LFTP corrupts special characters Post 302675575 by adam.wis on Monday 23rd of July 2012 09:54:31 AM
Old 07-23-2012
Data LFTP corrupts special characters

Hi,

I am trying to use lftp to mirror two directories: one on my windows pc and one on a zOS system. One file within the local directory has special characters for different languages, e.g. pou¶ít (czech). When I run lftp, the characters are incorrect.

I am transferring in ASCII mode, and the target charset is IBM-1047.

I have tried encoding the local file in UTF-8, and ISO-8859-1. Neither of which seem to work.

ISO-8859-1 changes pou¶ít to pou6mt
UTF-8 changes pou¶ít to pouB6C-t

I have also tried "set ftp:charset" but i am not sure which charset to use since IBM-1047 is "not supported" by lftp.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP for special characters

Hi folks I am issuing the following command: grep "" * Looking for the characters \/:*?"<>|#+%& within all files in a directory, but the command fails being unhappy with pipe: ksh: 0403-057 Syntax error: `|' is not expected. How do I force the command to take the pipe | ? I guess... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lftp: Option to lftp a file, wait and download a file as soon as its created

Please let me know what is lftp options combination to wait and download a file from target as soon as its gets created. I tried with different options but not able to get it working as I need any help would be appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkux
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Protection and special characters

I am learning from the class how to protect the special characters and the script that I wrote here does not work when I am trying to pick up a single quote. It would complaint about parentheses problem. Please, someone could enlighten me. Thanks in advance, Scopiop Input file Hi, * ?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scopiop
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

lftp is not working.how to replace lftp with expect utility using same .cfg file.

We have lftp command inside shell file. which is intern calling .cfg file for transferring the file from one server to other. Below command to not working. lftp -e "set net:max-retries 1; set net:reconnect-interval-base 1; put -E -O /destinationdir/inbox/ /sourcedir/test.txt; bye" -u... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnsnow
4 Replies
unaccent(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unaccent(1)

NAME
unaccent - remove accents from input stream or a string SYNOPSIS
unaccent [--debug_low] [--debug_high] [-h] charset [string] [expected] DESCRIPTION
With a single argument, unaccent reads data from stdin, replaces accented letters by their unaccented equivalent and writes the result on stdout. If the second argument ('string') is provided unaccent transforms it by replacing accented letters by their unaccented equivalent. The result is printed on the standard output. The charset of the input string or the data read from stdin is specified by the 'charset' argument (ISO-8859-15 for instance). The output is printed using the same charset. If the 'expected' argument is provided, the output string is compared to it. If they are not equal unaccent exits on error. unaccent relies on the iconv(3) library to convert from the specified charset to UTF-16BE (or UTF-16 if UTF-16BE is not available). You should check the manual pages for available charsets. On GNU/Linux the command iconv -l shows all available charsets. OPTIONS
--debug_low Prints human readable information about the unaccentuation process. See unac(3) for more information. --debug_high Prints very detailed information about the unaccentuation process. See unac(3) for more information. --help -h Prints a short usage and exits. EXAMPLES
Remove accents from the string ete and check that the result is ete. unaccent ISO-8859-1 ete ete Remove accents from file myfile and put the result in file myfile.unaccent unaccent ISO-8859-1 < myfile > myfile.unaccent SEE ALSO
unac(3), iconv(3) AUTHOR
Loic Dachary loic@senga.org http://www.senga.org/unac/ local unaccent(1)