Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to split 10GB file into small Sizes Post 302675509 by zimmyyash on Monday 23rd of July 2012 07:30:20 AM
Old 07-23-2012
How to split 10GB file into small Sizes

Hi Team

I have one 10 Gb log file
I want to split it into say 10 of 1-1Gb file
pls share ur experiences how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into 16 small files

Hi I want to split a file that has 'n' number of records into 16 small files. Can some one suggest me how to do this using Unix script? Thanks rrkk (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrkks
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large file and add header and footer to each small files

I have one large file, after every 200 line i have to split the file and the add header and footer to each small file? It is possible to add different header and footer to each file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish4422
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I split a 10GB file into 1 GB sizes using my repeating data pattern

I'm not a unix guy so excuses my ignorance... I'm the database ETL guy. I'm trying to be proactive and devise a plan B for a ETL process where I expect a file 10X larger than what I process daily for a recast job. The ETL may handle it but I just don't know. This file may need to be split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: john091
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file sizes

I have 2 big files in the size of gb. They are same with respect to content, both are “,” delimited. Now both of them are created by two different processes but has the same logic. The problem is they are differing only in few bytes for e.g one file is 202195751 bytes other is 202195773. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to split a huge file into small pieces (per 2000 columns)?

Dear all, I have a big file:2879(rows)x400,170 (columns) like below. I 'd like to split the file into small pieces:2879(rows)x2000(columns) per file (the last small piece will be 2879x170. So far, I only know how to create one samll piece at one time. But actually I need to repeat this work... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl cmd to remove the control-Z character at end of 10GB file

In a 10-50GB file , at end of file there is Control-z character tried the below options, 1. perl -p -i -e 's/^Z//g' new.txt 2. perl -0777lwi -032e0 new.txt and Sed command, dos2unix etc it takes more time to remove the control-z. need a command or perl program to GO TO LAST LINE OF FILE ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsam
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a large array into small chunks

Hi, I need to split a large array "@sharedArray" into 10 small arrays. The arrays should be like @sharedArray1,@sharedArray2,@sharedArray3...so on.. Can anyone help me with the logic to do so :(:confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to create 10GB file in Linux and transferring the file to other remote server

Hi folks, Is it possible to create 10GB file in linux and transferring the file to other remote server? Regards, J (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split this txt file into small files?

Dear shell experts, I would like to spilt a txt file into small ones. However, I did not know how to program use shell. If someone could help, it is greatly appreciated! Specifically, I supposed there is file named A.txt. The content of the file likes this: Subject run condtion ACC time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychmyluo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split large file into 24 small files on one hour basis

I Have a large file with 24hrs log in the below format.i need to split the large file in to 24 small files on one hour based.i.e ex:from 09:55 to 10:55,10:55-11:55 can any one help me on this.! ... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghuram717
20 Replies
LOGTAIL(8)							  logtail2 manual							LOGTAIL(8)

NAME
logtail2 - print log file lines that have not been read SYNOPSIS
logtail2 [-t] -flogfile [-ooffsetfile] DESCRIPTION
logtail2 reads a specified file (usually a log file) and writes to the standard output that part of it which has not been read by previous runs of logtail2. It prints the appropriate number of bytes from the end of logfile, assuming that all changes that are made to it are to add new characters to it. logfile must be a plain file. A symlink is not allowed. logtail2 stores the information about how much of it has already been read in a separate file called offsetfile. offsetfile can be omit- ted. If omitted, the file named logfile.offset in the same directory which contains logfile is used by default. If offsetfile is not empty, the inode of logfile is checked. If the inode is changed, logtail2 uses the heuristics stored in /usr/share/logtail/detectrotate/ to find a file that might be the rotated logfile and prints it starting with the stored offset. It then proceeds to simply print the entire new file and generates a new offsetfile. If the inode is not changed but logfile is shorter than it was at the last run of logtail2, it writes a warning message to the standard output. OPTIONS
-f logfile to be read after offset -o offsetfile stores offset of previous run -t test mode - do not change offset in offsetfile RETURN VALUES
0 successful 65 cannot get the size of logfile 66 general file or directory access issue 73 cannot write offsetfile AUTHOR
The original logtail was written in C by Craig H. Rowland <crowland@psionic.com>. This version of logtail is a modification of Paul Sloot- man's re-implementation in perl. enhanced by the Debian Logcheck Team <logcheck-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>. This manual was written by Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp> and enhanced by the Debian Logcheck Team <logcheck-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>.. SEE ALSO
logcheck(8) Debian 28 Jul 2007 LOGTAIL(8)