Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Translate from english to french Post 302675315 by PikK45 on Sunday 22nd of July 2012 10:07:42 PM
Old 07-22-2012
I would suggest you to use set -x while running the script, so that you could capture what are you missing really! Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing French special characters

Hi, I have tonnes of .txt files that are written in French. I need to replace the French special characters, however, with English equivalents (e.g. é -> e and ç -> c). I have tried this --- #!/bin/bash # Convert French characters to normal characters # Treat each of the files exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BlueberryPickle
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Problems with French Characters

I am having a problem with two OSes. One is running windows 2003 and sending XML to a second system running Unix (HP-UX 11i v1). Windows sends XML to the UNIX system fine but then the UNIX system reads the buffer file and turns the french characters into the following: é Ú É ╔ Î ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redfin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translate to normal english

lnode * head = temp; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickym2626
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to handle french char. in SunOS

Hi Friends, Need help regarding how to handle french char. in SunOS. I have to remove blank line from 100 files ( which also has some french char.), so I put all those file in unix (SunOS) by using filezilla and by using sed command I achived this, and I again get all the file back through... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please help me translate this UNIX script to English?

Hi guys, I'm trying to create a DataStage job and I'm basing it off an existing similar project. The 'Input' value of the job is: (where "/DATA/CSV_FILES" is where all the files were located) My understanding is that for each CSV, it added the 'filename' as Column A. And then it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedunnyman
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

French characters in postfix/sendmail

Hello again, How can I send emails via postfix with special characters like "à" via postfix. When I'm paste-ing the special character inside a editor (nano) it shows like this --> � ... any tips? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galford
1 Replies
british-english-small(5)					   Users' Manual					  british-english-small(5)

NAME
british-english-small - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/british-english-small is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 british-english-small(5)