Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: If Error then Exit
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting If Error then Exit Post 302674965 by 244an on Saturday 21st of July 2012 03:02:43 AM
Old 07-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
Code:
command && echo "error occurred"

The second variant uses the logical meaning of non-zero being FALSE, the "&&" is a logical "OR": that way, if "command" returns "FALSE", the second command is executed, otherwise not.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
I think "&&" is the logical "AND", "||" means "OR", so it should be
Code:
 command || echo "error occurred"

This User Gave Thanks to 244an For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit on error - is it possible?

Hi , i have shell scripts that run the mysql directly by echoing and redirecting the output to the mysql logins. whenever the query executes successfully then the script runs fine and nothing has to be done there. Now, when there is an error executing the query then it will generate the error... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAM Error non-zero exit status

Our machines HP-UX 10.20 Ace, Attempting to run various areas of SAM such as Backup and Restore, Printers and Plotters any areas of Time, etc give errors like the following: unexpected exit: process /usr/sam/lbin/samx/ -C -p 1358 -s br_sa_bdevs /usr/sam/lib///br.ui exited with a non-zero exit... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: real-chess
0 Replies

4. Linux

tar error exit delayed form pervious error

Hi when use "tar cpvzf /dev/st0 --exclude=/proc --exclude-/lost+found --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/sys /" to tape, get the following message "tar: error exit delayed form pervious error", What is the mean ? Please suggest some solution for these errors. thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chayato
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit out of a while loop with error

im running a while loop as a file watcher, with incremental counter on the retries..however when the retries reach it's limit i want it exit and echo and error and stop the batch. Im not sure the code i have will do that already... Here is what i have that works: #!/usr/bin/ksh count=0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

aCC exit error

Hi guys I would just like to know if aCC supports the command exit(0); in c++? I am always getting the error below: Error 328: "ac5.C", line 37 # Function 'exit' has not been defined yet; cannot call. exit(0); ^^^^ Anyone had this problem? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit a script with error ?

Hi, I have a script ABC which calls another script XYZ. Function of XYZ is to ftp a file from one server to another. code for ABC: #!/bin/ksh PATH=/usr/bin home/user/xyz "$@" exit $? ~ code for xyz: #!/bin/ksh HOSTNAME=$1 SRCNAME=$2 DSTNAME=$3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Salil Gupta
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP exit and error codes

I have a script which connects to a remote server via FTP and gets some file from there. #!/bin/bash /usr/bin/ftp -n remote.hostname.com <<EOF quote USER user123 quote PASS password123 lcd /dir1/dir2/dir3 cd / mget file_pattern* close bye EOF rc=$? if ] ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect error and exit

Hi, I am using Jenkins and have integrated JMeter for testing. JMeter is generating a file with results properly using shell script. I have to validate the results and exit the shell with non-zero so my jenkins job gets failed. I tried multiple ways to grep the output file and read the results... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitaram
2 Replies
LVMCHANGE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      LVMCHANGE(8)

NAME
lvmchange - change attributes of the logical volume manager SYNOPSIS
lvmchange [-d|--debug] [-f|--force] [-h|--help] {[-i|--iop_verion]| [-R|--reset]} [-v|--verbose] DESCRIPTION
lvmchange allows you to reset the logical volume manager. Please be careful to have all logical volumes closed and/or unused! OPTIONS -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -f, --force Force the action without confirmation. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -i, --iop_version Display the LVM io protocol version. This version number ensures that no incompatible data is passed to the driver. -R, --reset Emergency reset of the logical volume manager. This function is a "last resort" if something goes wrong to allow the the logical volume manager module to be unloaded. Not used in normal operation. Please be careful NOT to reset when logical volumes are in use!!! -v, --verbose Gives verbose information about lvmchange's activities. Example "lvmchange -fR" resets the logical volume manager without confirmation. DIAGNOSTICS
lvmchange returns an exit code of 0 for success or > 0 for error: 1 error opening logical volume manager 2 error resetting logical volume manager 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 99 invalid command line See also lvm(8), vgcreate(8), lvcreate(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS LVMCHANGE(8)