Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strange FAT filesystem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Strange FAT filesystem Post 302674837 by HJarausch on Friday 20th of July 2012 12:56:34 PM
Old 07-20-2012
Strange FAT filesystem

My Garmin GPS device has a slot for an SD card. I'm using a 32 GB SD card which holds 22 GB data currently.

If I attach my device to a USB port it shows two devices, the internal memory and the SD card. I have no problems with the internal memory which holds only 2 GB of data.

I can mount both as a FAT32 system, but listing (ls) the large SD card based file system shows only rubbish (many question marks and dots).
Fdisk is telling me, it's a FAT32 partition.

BUT, when I start Windows7 under Virtualbox on the very same hardware, I can list the device just fine and CHKDSK doesn't find any errors. And Windows claims it's a FAT32 system.

I've even tried to execute mount.exfat-fuse but it cannot find an exfat file system.

Has anybody an idea what's going on?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

format fat partition in unix

I got a FAT partition mounted as /mnt, as I believed you only can mount partitions when they are formated, but when I want to copy a file to the /mnt partition I only get errors...should I format it or do I have to change settings? I only can work through the "WebMin" (a GREAT TOOL!) cause I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NaRtHeXs
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Loopback files on a FAT based Filesystem?

I'm trying to set up a set of loopback files on a digital music player so I can carry a QEMU virtual machine with me. The digital music player in question is the Rio Karma and the filesystem it uses is omfs. Based on what I read at the Rio Karma FS page:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deckard
1 Replies

3. Hardware

SATA drive FAT recover

I had ACER aspiron one netbook with dual bootable (Windows XP and Debian). Recently I found XP is messy and Debian has new version published. I plan to recover XP and install new version of Debian. But I failed to recover XP from Hidden Partition. I thought it is because I install GRUB in the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinnud
15 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FAT-Client Server installation

I'm going to build a Fat-Client server, I have planed to Use Ubuntu.11.4. Please Help me for doing this. What are the packages I need to install? What is the step I need to follow, what needs to be configure in LDAP Server,DHCP Server and etc, Is there and Document or tutorial ? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
3 Replies

5. Fedora

SD's, fsck, dmesg, freezing, and the Corrupt FAT-fs

Up until today I haven't had a problem using an SD card with Fedora ( 25 ) but when I went to insert the SD adapter with the micro-sd card this time, the computer froze. It has frozen every time since. It is still reading the card, and after a minute or two of losing control of the GUI and terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beta_OmegaAdinf
4 Replies

6. Linux

Converct fat pc to thin client

I have old pc with 1gb ram and i wont to convert him to thin clint to connect rdp windos With software i need to install on my computer? I am new in linux.. Sent from my SM-J5108 using Tapatalk (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: popcoern
10 Replies