Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script that check the argument passed to it and prints error if test condition is not met Post 302674751 by 244an on Friday 20th of July 2012 09:50:43 AM
Old 07-20-2012
-eq is for arithmetics only, the operators are converted to digits when using that.
I don't think your script is working with only =, you should use =~.
And for [[, read the manuals, e.g. man bash in the command line. There you have all information of "[[", "-eq" and many other things.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if argument passed is an integers

How do I check if the argument passed to a script is an integer? I am writting a script that will take to integers and want to be able to check before I go on. I am using bourne shell. Thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: elchalateco
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with test condition in shell script

I'm new to scripting and I need help with a bourn shell script. What i'm trying to do is a test condition where "if the time is within 2 hours, it's true" and so on. The time is in the following format DATE=`/bin/date +"%Y%m%d%H%S"` for example, 20060907152000. So, what the script first... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pieman8080
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for ftp files passed in command line argument

i want to write a shell script function that will ftp the files passed in the command line . i have written a shell script for ftp but how will it do for all files passed in command line argument , i am passing 4 files as argument ./ftp.sh file1 file2 file3 file4 code written by me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rateeshkumar
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send mail script only if condition is met

only wc -l greater than 0 then send email to owner, otherwise do nothing. ie. result=powermt display dev=all|awk '{print $7}'|grep -i dead|wc -l if then echo $result else : fi mailx -s "there is dead path (s)" "mymail@mydomain.com" ----------- it is not working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orafup
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Test: argument expected error in shell script

Hi, I am trying to write a small script that validates if there exist files that start with a pattern in a given directory. Below is the piece of my script: #!/usr/bin/ksh BTFDIR=/opt/ships/temp if then echo 'found' else echo 'not found' fi When I run this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snvniranjanrao
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find the sum of argument passed to the script

I want to make a script which takes the number of argument, add those argument and gives output to the user, but I am not getting through... Script that i am using is below : #!/bin/bash sum=0 for i in $@ do sum=$sum+$1 echo $sum shift done I am executing the script as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk. Abort script if condition was met.

I want to abort script if input variable matched first field in any line of a file. #!/bin/sh read INPUTVAR1 awk "{if(\$INPUTVAR1 == $1) x = 1} END {if(x==1) print \"I want to abort script here\"; else print \"OK\"}" /etc/some.conf I tried "exit" and system("exit") but no luck. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urello
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting number of argument passed to a shell script

Hi Experts, I have been trying to work on a simple shell script that will just add the two argument passed to it. Here is what i tried : #!/bin/bash welcome(){ echo "Welcome to this Progg. which will accept two parameter" } main_logic(){ arg=$# echo "Number of argument passed is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)