Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I can't get what I'm doing wrong! Post 302673343 by Scott on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 08:48:35 PM
Old 07-17-2012
I've just deleted about 20 posts from this thread. It's going nowhere.

Please post the ACTUAL script - NOT a sample. Please post the exact details of your operating system (vendor, version, release), and shell (default and active). Also include details of any input- and output-files. Everything relevant to your question.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What am I doing wrong

When I execute following shell script I am getting the following error syntax error at line 50 : `<<' unmatched What am I doing wrong :confused: Script begins here ---------------- MPAN_FILE=$1 exec 3<$MPAN_FILE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please tell me what do I do wrong here!

#!/usr/bin/csh # DAY=`date +%y%m%d` H=`date +%H` M=`date +%M` mailx -s "$H-Myfile" email@email.com</home/mydir/myfile Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anything wrong with this

Does anyone see anything wrong with this. #getInfraFiles() #{ # cd Infra/$DAY # rm * # /usr/bin/ftp -i -n $LINE << cmd # user "$USER" "$PASSWD" # cd $INFRAPATH # binary # mget * # bye #} besides that its commented out (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is wrong here

Hello, I have a simple script such as ----------------------------- #! /bin/sh YEAR=`date -u +%Y`; MONTH=`date -u +%m`; DAY=`date -u +%d`; DATE=$MONTH$DAY$YEAR LOGFILES=auditTrail-$DATE LOGMATCH=$LOGFILES\* ARGUM='' # find all files and write them to a file find . -name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What am I doing wrong?

I really just mess around in UNIX, for the most part, when I want to get something done. I can usually piece things together by searching for brief how-to's on Google, but the syntax errors in my following .sh file are really confusing me. I've got lots of programming experience in other places, so... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: demonpants
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is wrong with this tr -d?

here is my command in bash shell on Mac OS X tiger: history | tr -d emacs here is what I get: hitory | grp "" | tr -d "" hitory | grp "" | tr -d """" hitory | grp "" | tr -d '' hitory | grp "" | tr -d '' hitory | grp "" | tr -d '' hitory | grp "" | tr -d... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

what I m doing wrong?

when user select option 2 nothing happen.for testing purpose I put echo command but is not executing . basically when user prompt for option 2,I want to get list of database name from user separeted by space (TEST DEVL) and put into the file seprated by new line TEST DEVL after that stay on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: okreporthai
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is wrong in here ???

]#PATH=/usr/bin:/etc:/bin:/boot/grub:/boot/grup/bin: /boot/solaris/bin:/sbin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/5bin://usr/X11/bin:/usr/apache/bin:/usr/apache2/bin:/usr/appserver/bin:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What am I doing wrong here?

I am working on a simple login ID check shell script that should prompt for a user ID then check to see if this user is logged on. Trying to get the hang of this stuff so I am thinking of my own little projects. #! /bin/sh echo "please enter a user name" read user if user=$user then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsk319342
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies
postwait(2)							System Calls Manual						       postwait(2)

NAME
postwait: pw_getukid(), pw_wait(), pw_post(), pw_postv(), pw_getvmax() - lightweight synchronization mechanism SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
Postwait is a fast, lightweight sleep/wakeup mechanism that can be used for synchronization by cooperating kernel threads within a single process or between separate processes. A thread calls to block. It resumes execution when it is posted by another thread, the call expires, or is signaled. If one or more posts are already pending, returns immediately. Threads using postwait are identified by their ukid. A thread retrieves its ukid by calling It shares this ukid with anyone it chooses by any means it considers appropriate (for example, shared memory). is called with a timeout ts. If ts is NULL, the thread will not timeout. It will remain blocked until posted or a signal wakes it up. If ts points to a zero-valued timespec, will return immediately with a value (and indicating whether or not it was posted. If ts points to a timespec whose value is greater than zero, the thread will block for that amount of time unless it is posted or inter- rupted by a signal, in which case the timespec pointed to by ts is updated with the remaining time. The return value and are set to indi- cate the reason the call returned. is used to post many threads with a single call. It posts to all threads in the targets array. An value for each target is returned in the errors array. (0 indicates success.) If the errors pointer is zero, no target-specific errors are copied out. There is a maximum number of threads that can be posted with a single call. This value is returned by Posts sent to a kernel thread that already has a post pending against it are discarded. RETURN VALUE
returns 0 if it succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if posted, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if the post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if every post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns the maximum number of kernel threads that can be posted with a single call to ERRORS
sets to one of the following values if it fails: ukid points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. sets to one of the following values if it fails: was called with a timeout of 0 but the caller has no post(s) pending. was called with a timeout that expired. ts points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. was interrupted by a signal. The timespec pointed to by ts is invalid. sets to one of the following values if it fails: The ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. sets to one of the following values if it fails: targets points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. errors points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. count is less than 0. count exceeds the maximum value (as returned by A ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. postwait(2)