Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to gzip files "on fly" before copying Post 302673105 by urello on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 12:44:31 PM
Old 07-17-2012
How to gzip files "on fly" before copying

Hello,
I want to gzip some files before copying to remote host. There is no freespace on source host so it needs to be perfomed within one-liner. I tried the following but it didn't work
Code:
gzip -c -9 all_rvds.xml |ssh targethost "dd of=/tmp/all_rvds.xml.gz"

Code:
cat all_rvds.xml |gzip -c9 |ssh targethost "dd of=/tmp/all_rvds.xml.gz"

What is the right way?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying all files of type "pdf"

Hi, Within a shell script I'm trying to copy all the files in a directory structure to another folder but only the files of type "pdf" I have made a start but I can't work out how to finish it. find $ATEBUILD/doc/user -name "*.pdf" | xargs cp THEN WHAT? I hope this makes sense! Rob (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milage
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does "gzip" have a no prompt option on it for overwriting if file exists?

So I dont enounter things like: gzip: /sometimename.gz already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? Want to add it into a script and if there is a file aready there to just overwrite it, otherwise the script will hang unless there is manual intervention. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying multiple files with "If Then Else" logic

I need some suggestions on how to write the code to copy multiple files rather than duplicating the code multiple times. Example: I have four files that need to go throught this logic in the same way. Do I have to duplicate this chunk of code four times or can I built the logic in the same set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why is wget copying my directory tree with some files with "@"?

I'm using wget 1.11.4 on Cygwin 1.5.25. I'm trying to recursively download a directory tree, which is the root of a javadoc tree. This is approximately the command line I tried: wget -x -p -r http://<host>/.../apidoc When it finished, it seemed like it downloaded... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkarr
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than "x" if directory size is greater than "y"

I wrote a script to delete files which are older than "x" days, if the size of the directory is greater than "y" #!/bin/bash du -hs $1 while read SIZE ENTRY do if ; then find $1 -mtime +$2 -exec rm -f {} \; echo "Files older than $2 days deleted" else echo "free Space available"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store Host lookup in variable ("on the fly")

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering why I can't store a host lookup in a variable. for line in $(< blacklist) do STOREIP=host $line; if ]; then $line >> blacklist2; else $line >> blacklist3; fi done Result: "ip" command not found .. so how would I store the host lookup in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sOliver
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
EVOLVOTRON_MUTATE(1)						    Evolvotron						      EVOLVOTRON_MUTATE(1)

NAME
evolvotron_mutate - Render an evolvotron function tree to an image. SYNOPSIS
evolvotron_mutate < function_in.xml > function_out.xml evolvotron_mutate -g > function_out.xml DESCRIPTION
evolvotron_mutate either mutates an existing image function (saved to an XML file), or (with the -g option) creates a new image function. The mutation parameters and function weightings are the same as used by evolvotron in its default reset state. See the evolvotron user manual (accessible from the evolvotron application's Help menu) for more information on image functions. COMMANDLINE OPTIONS
-g Specifies that no function should be read from standard input. The output function is created at random. EXAMPLES
evolvotron_mutate -g | tee function0.xml | evolvotron_render function0.ppm evolvtron_mutate < function0.xml > function1.xml AUTHOR
evolvotron_mutate was written by Tim Day (www.timday.com) and is released under the conditions of the GNU General Public License. See the file LICENSE supplied with the source code for details. SEE ALSO
evolvotron(1), evolvotron_render(1) www.timday.com 25 Feb 2004 EVOLVOTRON_MUTATE(1)