Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX CPIO restoration from LTO2 tape media on AIX 4.3.3 Post 302672961 by polar on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 09:57:40 AM
Old 07-17-2012
Hi rene, i have tried
Code:
 # cpio -itvcB </dev/rmt1

The output able t0 list more directories, but result is still the same. It's thrown out

Code:

cpio: 0511-037 Cannot read from the specified input.
Enter the device or file name when ready to continue.

For
Code:
# mt -f /dev/rmt1.1 fsf 1 ; cpio -itvcB -I /dev/rmt1.1

erm.. Nothing happened. i do not know how to identify the different.

For
Code:
dd if=/dev/rmt1 of=/dir-with-enough-space/1.dd  -noerror
cpio -itv -I /dir-with-enough-space/1.dd

Unable to run this command successfully.

I will try to make a backup copy with a new LTO2 tape media. Thanks rene. Smilie

Last edited by polar; 07-17-2012 at 11:11 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective restore from a cpio tape archive

Hi, I use following command to restore data from my cpio tape archive: $cpio -icvd < /dev/rct0 But this'll restore all tape contents to the current path, what if I want only selected files from the tape, suppose I want /home/compdir/home2/Rev83/data/PL/01/*.* files to be restored... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Tar & Tape drive without media

Hi all, I would like to know what would happen if the tape (media) is not placed on the drive and a tar command is executed to backup on the tape. My problem is that tar command hanged for multiple days instead of throwing the error, Is it valid behaviour? I was unable to test the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmsathish
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

reading an AIX cpio tape on RH8

Thanks for any insights you might have... I have a RH8 system setup with a DAT drive. I have a AIX tape that was made using cpio. Bottom line is I need to read the AIX tape into the RH box. I was able to do cpio -itv --no-absolute-filenames < /dev/st0 and read the table of contents. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike114327
0 Replies

4. SCO

CPIO Backup End of Media

I'm having problems getting backups working on SCO OpenServer 5.7. using the following command: find / -depth -print | cpio -ocvB -O /dev/rct0 some files are backed up then the following error is reported: Reached end of medium on output. Device /dev/rct0: Change to part 2 and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RMA1
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract cpio backup on tape

Hi, I was wondering, If I take a backup using cpio to tape from UNIX, can I extract data on windows box using cpio for windows? Anybody ever do this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonez
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LTO2 tape drive as iSCSI target

I'm using Bacula as my backup system, with full backups going to an LTO2 tape drive, while differentials and incrementals go to a disk array on my main server, babylon4. The tape drive is currently attached to a separate machine, because babylon4 does not have a SCSI controller, nor a free PCI-X... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil Stracchino
0 Replies

7. Solaris

question about restoration from backup tape (solaris 10)

I am trying to restore opt on my server. my issue is, all the partitions are saved into the same back up tape. what is the exact command to just restore /opt for example, supposing c0t0d0s7 is the partition for /opt ---------- Post updated at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: feg
7 Replies

8. AIX

AIX doesn't detect smc1 media changer in ts3200 tape library

Hi all, I'm having a problem here my environment as follows. AIX 5.3 TL 10 running on a P6 p520 sever with 3 fibre channel cards and Tivoli Storage Manager TSM 5.4 and TS3200 Tape Library with 2 drives and 2 media changers. My problem as follows smc1 doesn't show up , I ran cfgmgr multiple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
6 Replies

9. SCO

CPIO listing from tape question...

Hi. I have this old server onto which i needed to list the content of a tape. This is a SCO box (SCO_SV 3.2 5.0.6 i386) and backup was done using cpio. #tape status status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 0 #dtype /dev/rct0 /dev/rct0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Tape Backup Using cpio

Hi all, I've got two HP machines running HP-UX 11.31 and would like to remotely backup one server onto another server's tape unit using the cpio command. The two servers use a secured communication channel, i.e ssh. Kindly help, Koketso (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Koketso
1 Replies
CPIO(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   CPIO(1)

NAME
cpio - copy files to and from archives SYNOPSIS
cpio {-o|--create} [-0acvABLV] [-C bytes] [-H format] [-M message] [-O [[user@]host:]archive] [-F [[user@]host:]archive] [--file=[[user@]host:]archive] [--format=format] [--message=message] [--null] [--reset-access-time] [--verbose] [--dot] [--append] [--block-size=blocks] [--dereference] [--io-size=bytes] [--quiet] [--force-local] [--rsh-command=command] [--help] [--version] < name-list [> archive] cpio {-i|--extract} [-bcdfmnrtsuvBSV] [-C bytes] [-E file] [-H format] [-M message] [-R [user][:.][group]] [-I [[user@]host:]archive] [-F [[user@]host:]archive] [--file=[[user@]host:]archive] [--make-directories] [--nonmatching] [--preserve-modification-time] [--numeric-uid- gid] [--rename] [-t|--list] [--swap-bytes] [--swap] [--dot] [--unconditional] [--verbose] [--block-size=blocks] [--swap-halfwords] [--io- size=bytes] [--pattern-file=file] [--format=format] [--owner=[user][:.][group]] [--no-preserve-owner] [--message=message] [--force-local] [--no-absolute-filenames] [--sparse] [--only-verify-crc] [--to-stdout] [--quiet] [--rsh-command=command] [--help] [--version] [pattern...] [< archive] cpio {-p|--pass-through} [-0adlmuvLV] [-R [user][:.][group]] [--null] [--reset-access-time] [--make-directories] [--link] [--quiet] [--pre- serve-modification-time] [--unconditional] [--verbose] [--dot] [--dereference] [--owner=[user][:.][group]] [--no-preserve-owner] [--sparse] [--help] [--version] destination-directory < name-list REPORTING BUGS
Report cpio bugs to bug-cpio@gnu.org GNU cpio home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report cpio translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> SEE ALSO
cpio(5) DESCRIPTION
GNU cpio is fully documented in the texinfo documentation. To access the help from your command line, type info cpio The online copy of the documentation is available at the following address: http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/manual CPIO(1)