Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ?* regular expression in sh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ?* regular expression in sh Post 302672899 by DavidMax on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 07:48:32 AM
Old 07-17-2012
Thanks,
I have just awared one minute before your post that above expressions are treated as shell metacharacters (after all I use it routinely to specify all files).

But what is a reason for which (as I have checked)

-

match in above string of metacharacters?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Programming

What does the regular expression ['(^[^~]+~).*'] mean?

What does the regular expression +~).*'] mean while using it with regexec.When the string "RCHNUSNT35C~rs07/ASM-RS07" is used with the regular expression +~).*'] regexec gives an error. I know what regexec does,but i do not understand what this expression means wrt to this string... any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupamar
2 Replies

3. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with regular expression

I currently list and sort all the files in a directory which begin with an Upper Case C and end with the extension '#finished#'. Here is the command I use: ls -tr $currentDir/*.#finished# what i need to do now is list all the files in a directory that begin with upper case C and end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkgudde
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

6. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expression help

Hi, I am quite knew to scripting and I am trying to get a regular expression to work to check that a user enters a valid version number such as 1 or 1.1 or 12.3 etc. I dont seem to be able to get it to work as it picks up versions such as 1.......2. I only want it to work with a single dot.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: frodo61
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

Can someone please explain me what does this mean? ^{1,50}$ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

I would like to extract "JDBC Thin Client" from (PROGRAM=JDBC Thin Client); and "C:\Python26\python.exe" from (PROGRAM=C:\Python26\python.exe); "txm_v_awsrf_db.pr" from (PROGRAM=txm_v_awsrf_db.pr). if input line like "(PROGRAM=)", it return unknown. Would you help suggest a regular... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstsang
4 Replies
VGRINDEFS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						      VGRINDEFS(5)

NAME
vgrindefs -- language definition data base for vgrind(1) SYNOPSIS
vgrindefs DESCRIPTION
The vgrindefs file contains all language definitions for vgrind(1). The data base is very similar to termcap(5). FIELDS
The following table names and describes each field. Name Type Description pb str regular expression for start of a procedure bb str regular expression for start of a lexical block be str regular expression for the end of a lexical block cb str regular expression for the start of a comment ce str regular expression for the end of a comment sb str regular expression for the start of a string se str regular expression for the end of a string lb str regular expression for the start of a character constant le str regular expression for the end of a character constant tl bool present means procedures are only defined at the top lexical level oc bool present means upper and lower case are equivalent kw str a list of keywords separated by spaces EXAMPLES
The following entry, which describes the C language, is typical of a language entry. C|c::pb=^d?*?d?pd?(a?):bb={:be=}:cb=/*:ce=*/:sb=":se=e": :lb=':le=e':tl: :kw=asm auto break case char continue default do double else enum extern float for fortran goto if int long register return short sizeof static struct switch typedef union unsigned while #define #else #endif #if #ifdef #ifndef #include #undef # define else endif if ifdef ifndef include undef: Note that the first field is just the language name (and any variants of it). Thus the C language could be specified to vgrind(1) as "c" or "C". Entries may continue onto multiple lines by giving a as the last character of a line. Capabilities in vgrindefs are of two types: Boolean capabilities which indicate that the language has some particular feature and string capabilities which give a regular expression or keyword list. REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
vgrindefs uses regular expression which are very similar to those of ex(1) and lex(1). The characters `^', `$', `:' and `' are reserved characters and must be "quoted" with a preceding '' if they are to be included as normal characters. The metasymbols and their meanings are: $ the end of a line ^ the beginning of a line d a delimiter (space, tab, newline, start of line) a matches any string of symbols (like .* in lex) p matches any alphanumeric name. In a procedure definition (pb) the string that matches this symbol is used as the procedure name. () grouping | alternation ? last item is optional e preceding any string means that the string will not match an input string if the input string is preceded by an escape character (). This is typically used for languages (like C) which can include the string delimiter in a string by escaping it. Unlike other regular expressions in the system, these match words and not characters. Hence something like "(tramp|steamer)flies?" would match "tramp", "steamer", "trampflies", or "steamerflies". KEYWORD LIST
The keyword list is just a list of keywords in the language separated by spaces. If the "oc" boolean is specified, indicating that upper and lower case are equivalent, then all the keywords should be specified in lower case. FILES
/usr/share/misc/vgrindefs File containing terminal descriptions. SEE ALSO
troff(1), vgrind(1) HISTORY
The vgrindefs file format appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 6, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution