Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Retreiving part of a mail ID
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retreiving part of a mail ID Post 302672859 by elixir_sinari on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 06:06:26 AM
Old 07-17-2012
Code:
a="abc.def@ghi.com"
b=${a%%.*}
echo $b

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 07-17-2012 at 07:20 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retreiving environment variable from remote system

I am trying to write a short block of code that takes a partial filename as input from the command line, then searches multiple remote servers for any file that matches the pattern. If the pattern is found, I would like to return the value of an environment variable from the *remote* server. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bschnair
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best practice for bulk multi-part mail

Hi, I am currently building a PHP/MySQL database that handles our offices newsletters. Now everything works great in the alpha with only a few names in the list, but I anticipate that once we fill it up (around 10,000) that this will not work from the PHP. I already have the script echo the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: begin23
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retreiving live data

I have a stream of data come to a server and store in a file (datafile). This stream of data contain a lot of information. Data could come in every second or different frequency of times. I like to retrieve a certain text string as the data come in. All data information will come with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retreiving and storing date...

First of all want to apologize for such a simple question. Very "new" to UNIX and have just taken a small intro class. I need to pull back YYYYMMDD and store it in a field to be used later. I figured out date "+%Y%m%d" returns the date in that format, just not sure how to store it. I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cards0622
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreiving information from a text file

Hey guys, i just started shell programming and i have a question. I am working on a simple inventory project and one of the problems which i am unable to solve would be how i am going to extract the data i need from a text file(which will be my database) and then put it inside the executable to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add color to part of the text in a mail sent from unix script

Hi, We are using KSH. I was able to write a script where a mail is sent to the concerned persons and this is working perfectly file. I need to give a different color to a part of the data in the mail which. The script written is as follows; (echo "From: $REPLY" echo "To: $DLIST" echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

retreiving file name in a variable on ftp

Hi , I need to retreive the file name in an variable on the ftp server.Can you guy please let me know how can i do that.I need some thing like connect to ftp <<eof new_variable=`ls *_1_AUDIT.txt *_2_AUDIT.txt` (but on a ftp server) mget $new_variable >>eof (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Param0073
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in retreiving records from Oracle

Hello, I am new to UNIX. My Requirement: Need to connect to Oracle database from UNIX and execute an SELECT statement and store the records in a flatfile of Comma delimiter. What I have Succeeded: I was able to connect to Oracle from UNIX. Problem: I cannot fetch multiple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunvasu2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail file part

hi, i want to send last 10 lines of a file.. How can acheive that. i tried this, but it is not working. mailx -s "$SUBJ" $MAIL_ID < $LOGFILE|tail -10 Can somebody guide me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bang_dba
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and retreiving numbers

Hi, I have one file 1.txt with one field consist of following Ids (shortlisted 10 but showing 3 here): 00052 00184 00607 and then second file 2.txt with three fields (very big file): 00052 00184 12.73062 00052 00598 13.51205 00052 00599 13.92554 00052 00600 13.73358... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
2 Replies
Char(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   Char(3)

NAME
PDL::Char -- PDL subclass which allows reading and writing of fixed-length character strings as byte PDLs SYNOPSIS
use PDL; use PDL::Char; my $pchar = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $pchar->setstr(1,0,'foo'); print $pchar; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'foo' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] print $pchar->atstr(2,0); # Prints: # ghi DESCRIPTION
This subclass of PDL allows one to manipulate PDLs of 'byte' type as if they were made of fixed length strings, not just numbers. This type of behavior is useful when you want to work with charactar grids. The indexing is done on a string level and not a character level for the 'setstr' and 'atstr' commands. This module is in particular useful for writing NetCDF files that include character data using the PDL::NetCDF module. FUNCTIONS
new Function to create a byte PDL from a string, list of strings, list of list of strings, etc. # create a new PDL::Char from a perl array of strings $strpdl = PDL::Char->new( ['abc', 'def', 'ghij'] ); # Convert a PDL of type 'byte' to a PDL::Char $strpdl1 = PDL::Char->new (sequence (byte, 4, 5)+99); $pdlchar3d = PDL::Char->new([['abc','def','ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']]); string Function to print a character PDL (created by 'char') in a pretty format. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] # 'string' is overloaded to the "" operator, so: # print $char; # should have the same effect. setstr Function to set one string value in a character PDL. The input position is the position of the string, not a character in the string. The first dimension is assumed to be the length of the string. The input string will be null-padded if the string is shorter than the first dimension of the PDL. It will be truncated if it is longer. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $char->setstr(0,1, 'foobar'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] $char->setstr(2,1, 'f'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'f'] -> note that this 'f' is stored "f" # ] atstr Function to fetch one string value from a PDL::Char type PDL, given a position within the PDL. The input position of the string, not a character in the string. The length of the input string is the implied first dimension. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char->atstr(0,1); # Prints: # jkl perl v5.8.0 2001-05-27 Char(3)