Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vim copy line and paste at the beginning, middle, and end of another line Post 302672665 by Scott on Monday 16th of July 2012 05:38:00 PM
Old 07-16-2012
I guess because if you yank a line, it takes the newline with it, and that gets pasted too.
This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy and paste a specific line

Hi I am having some trouble cut and paste a file based on the content of another file. I have a file called draft. I need to cut and paste its content to another file based on the content of a file called proc.txt The content of proc.txt is like the following:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger99
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy and paste line in shell script

Hi I want to grep for a line and copy and paste that line. for Example ---- file abc.txt ---- host=atlx1 sid=atld1 mail=abc@abc.com host=atlx2 sid=atld2 mail=xyz@abc.com host=atlx3 sid=atld3 mail=def@abc.com host=atlx4 sid=atld4 mail=mno@abc.com --- end of file abc.txt ---- Now I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: upsrk
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert two strings at the beginning and at the end of each line of a file

Hi, excuse me for my poor english. My problem is that: I have a File i want to add to each line of that file two strings: one at the beginning of the line, one at the ending. string1="abcd" string2="efgh" i want $string1 content $string2 for each line. Is that possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux-fueled
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM: replace a character in the middle of line

exmaple, i need to replace the number "5" from all lines below with "X"? What is the useful vim command that i can apply for.. ddpadsgg506xghssuyj ddpadsgag546xghssuys ddsadsgaag596xghssuy_te ddsadsgag506xghssuy_pe ddsadsgagc526xghssuys ddsads506ighssuys ddsadsgag506pghssuyk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 793589
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify beginning-of-line/end-of-line characters inside a regex range

How can I specify special meaning characters like ^ or $ inside a regex range. e.g Suppose I want to search for a string that either starts with '|' character or begins with start-of-line character. I tried the following but it does not work: sed 's/\(\)/<do something here>/g' file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to add text to beginning and end of each line

Well here goes: I tried to write a batch file that adds a specific fixed text to each line of an already existing text file. for the adding text infront of each line I tried this: for /F "delims=" %%j in (list.txt) do echo.STARTTEXT\%%j >> list.txt for adding text after each line I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy some line and paste it after some line in same file

Hi, I want to know how I can copy line 6th to 10th and paste it after 17th line in same file. Thanks, Biplab (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Biplab
19 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed - Add a variable line to the end of a block beginning with a regex

Hi, Need some help with sed. I have a file that has sections : e.g. a=blah b=blah d=blah e=blah There's many sections in the file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andyatit
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add new line at beginning and end of a file

Hi, I have a specific requirement to add text at the beginning and end of a plain text file. I tried to use "sed" with '1i' and '$a' flags but these required two separate "sed" commands separated with "|". I am looking for some command/option to join these two in single command parameter. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
6 Replies
CONFIG.GUESS(1) 						   User Commands						   CONFIG.GUESS(1)

NAME
config.guess - guess the build system triplet SYNOPSIS
config.guess [OPTION] DESCRIPTION
The GNU build system distinguishes three types of machines, the `build' machine on which the compilers are run, the `host' machine on which the package being built will run, and, exclusively when you build a compiler, assembler etc., the `target' machine, for which the compiler being built will produce code. This script will guess the type of the `build' machine. Output the configuration name of the system `config.guess' is run on. Operation modes: -h, --help print this help, then exit -t, --time-stamp print date of last modification, then exit -v, --version print version number, then exit ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
config.guess might need to compile and run C code, hence it needs a compiler for the `build' machine: use the environment variable `CC_FOR_BUILD' to specify the compiler for the build machine. If `CC_FOR_BUILD' is not specified, `CC' will be used. Be sure to specify `CC_FOR_BUILD' is `CC' is a cross-compiler to the `host' machine. CC_FOR_BUILD a native C compiler, defaults to `cc' CC a native C compiler, the previous variable is preferred REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs and patches to <config-patches@gnu.org>. Originally written by Per Bothner. Copyright 1992-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
autoconf(1), automake(1), autoreconf(1), autoupdate(1), autoheader(1), autoscan(1), config.guess(1), config.sub(1), ifnames(1), libtool(1). GNU Autoconf 2.69 August 2017 CONFIG.GUESS(1)