Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Quick question about finding the PID of long-running processes Post 302672627 by Bolanok on Monday 16th of July 2012 04:41:17 PM
Old 07-16-2012
Quick question about finding the PID of long-running processes

The end result that I'd like is to terminate any process on my ps -u username list that extends beyond 20 minutes. I know for a fact that this process will be named l[0-999].exe, but I don't know the number in between and I won't know the PID. Is there a way to use grep or pidof to do this task every 20 minutes or so?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Controlling processes knowing the PID's

Dear all, suppose that I start a process (named "father"). "father" starts in turns a process called "child" with an execv call (after a fork). In this way "father" will be notified if "chlid" crashes (SIGCHILD mechanism). The problem is: if "father" crashes, how can I do to be recreate a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npalmentieri
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

long runnning processes more than one hour not able to see in ps -ef command

hi, We have one script ‘X' which invokes another script ‘Y'. Inside X we are checking if Y is active/running or not with ps command. But for cases when Y runs for more than 1 hour the ps command inside X returns that no Y process running. Can you please guide me if in UNIX any long running process... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyam soni
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question about finding a large file

what is the correct command for finding the largest file and displaying it without any error information? I can find it, but how do I display it in the same command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the nice(ni) number with PID?

Hi, is there a command that takes the PID of a process and that only diplays it's ni number? I`m pretty sure it would require pipes but I tried a few things that ended up miserably... Since the ps command doesn't show the ni unless I do ps -o ni but then I can't find a way to search the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for long running processes....

I searched the forums but didn't see anything related to what I'm looking for. I need a script that would give me a listing of jobs running longer than, for example, 12 hours or so. Thanks in advance for your assistance!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CyberOptiq
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run Processes Sequentially Using Process ID (PID)

Hi, I'm a newbie when it comes to using UNIX, and I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I have a set of processes that I want to run sequentially: process1.py process2.py process3.py I want to know I can run these sequentially using their process IDs (PIDs). Ideally, I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelata
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine the active processes on the system which are running since long time

Hi , Please help me shell script to determine the active processes on the system which are running since long time (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itian2010
2 Replies

9. AIX

How to Identify long running unix processes

Hi All, Need an urgent help, I have a requirement to find long running unix processes.. I have tried the below commands, but not succeed. I need to arrange the unix processess in an order of elapsed time (high to low) that runs in a system. For Eg: Consider we have 3 processes, Pid 1 pid 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohamedirfan
5 Replies

10. AIX

Need to check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX

Hello, Please help me with a script with which I can check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies