Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving all files in a directory to another directory and archiving them Post 302672565 by zaxxon on Monday 16th of July 2012 02:37:16 PM
Old 07-16-2012
From what I've read that's what you wanted. It is only archiving those files which are not already gzipped.
If that's not what you wanted, explain or alter the code yourself. Add a tar before you gzip them, whatever.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files from a unix directory to a windows directory

Any body any ideas i'm failry new to this so any help would be appreciated. Cheers Steve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gleads
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files not directory.

Hi, I want to move only files not subdirectories. I issued the below command, but subdirectories are also gets moved. mv /ucrrpd/input/upload/ /ucsspd/common/history/ In the above case, all subdirectories in /ucrrpd/input/upload/ also gets moved to /ucsspd/common/history/ I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating date directory and moving files into that directory

I have list of files named file_username_051208_025233.log. Here 051208 is the date and 025233 is the time.I have to run thousands of files daily.I want to put all the files depending on the date of running into a date directory.Suppose if we run files today they should put into 05:Dec:08... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi030
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files to specified directory.

Hi I have made a shell script which moves files from a trash bin back to the original directory and also has the option to restoring the file to a directory that is specified by the user. The restoring it to the original directory is working fine, the restoring it to a specified directory is now.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jodi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving all files from 1 directory to another

For example i have a directory called name and another called school how to remove first 5 files from name into school? thanks for helping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving Files from one directory to another directory

Please do help me out with this. I have to write the following script. There is a directory named "storage_directory" and it has hundreds of files in it. My script has to move each file from the storage_directory to "temp_directory" After moving each file, it has to create a log of the File... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving files keeping the same structure directory

Hello Team, We would like to backup a lot of files inside of a structure of directories, four, five or more levels in some Ubuntu, Mac and Solaris systems. For instance: /home/chuck/sales/virgin/rent-quote.pdf /home/chuck/sales/marriott/vacation-quote.pdf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with moving files from one directory to another directory.

Hi all, Please help me creating a job that runs on every monday. And the job must have a script to move the files from directory1 to directory2 based on date. eg: directory1 = usr/appl/src/archive; directory2 = usr/appl/failed filename : PHDG_90021.txt when the job runs,it must move... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vasanth_bala1
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving Files one directory to another directory shell script

Hi, Could you please assist how to move the gz files which are older than the 90 days from one folder to another folder ,before that it need to check the file system named "nfs" if size is less than 90 or not. If size is above 90 then it shouldn't perform file move and exit the script throwing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
4 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. AUTHOR
Written by Rene Scharfe. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)