Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regarding cut or awk command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Regarding cut or awk command Post 302672181 by kumars2102 on Monday 16th of July 2012 04:37:23 AM
Old 07-16-2012
Hi..actually i have given double quotes just to make sure that folks here understand its a single word..actual string is

oracle=user=name/pass/word@databasename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

a cut-command or special format pattern in awk

Hi i read data with awk, 01.07.2012 00:10 227.72 247.50 1.227 1.727 17.273 01.07.2012 00:20 237.12 221.19 2.108 2.548 17.367 01.07.2012 00:30 230.38 230.34 3.216 3.755 17.412 01.07.2012 00:40 243.18 242.91 4.662 5.172 17.328 01.07.2012 00:50 245.58 245.41 5.179 5.721 17.128... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK command to cut the desired header columns

Hi Friends, I have a file1 i want to retrieve only the fields which have DEP,CITY,TRANS as headers in other file. Output: I want to give the input as DEP,CITY,TRANS column names to get the output. i used cut command .. but if i have 300 fileds it is more difficult to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and cut command

Hi, I have to display the value 16 present in "lcpu=16" which is the output of a command # vmstat System configuration: lcpu=16 mem=4096MB I used as # hdtype=`vmstat | grep "lcpu" | awk -F "=" '{print $2}'` # echo $hdtype 16 mem But I need to display only 16.. Am doing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cut or awk command

i am trying to cut the 4th field from the file. sample file a1,a2,"a,3",a4,a5,a6 b1,"b,2",b3,b4,b5,b6 c1,"c,2","c,3",c4,c5,c6 i need the output in the format of a1,a2,"a,3",a5,a6 b1,"b,2",b3,b5,b6 c1,"c,2","c,3",c5,c6 i tried using cut -d, -f1-4,6- but i am getting the output as ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing command output in a variable and using cut/awk

Hi, My aim is to get the md5 hash of a file and store it in a variable. var1="md5sum file1" $var1 The above outputs fine but also contains the filename, so somthing like this 243ASsf25 file1 i just need to get the first part and put it into a variable. var1="md5sum file1"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustALol
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in extracting data using cut/awk command

Hi Everyone, I have a very simple problem and i am stuck in that from last 8 days. I tried many attempts, googled my query but all in vain. I have a text file named "test.txt" In that suppose i have contents like: Java: 1 Object oriented programming language 2 Concepts of Abstraction... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhijeet Anand
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use cut output as variable piped awk command

Hi, I would like use the output of my cut command as a variable in my following awk command. Here's what I've written. cut -f1 info.txt | awk -v i=xargs -F'' '{if($6 == $i) print $20}' summary.txt Where obviously the 'xargs' doesn't do what I want. How can I pass my cut result to my awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyooo
3 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Text::ParseWords(3pm)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = &nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = &quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = &shellwords(@lines); @words = &parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = &old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_lines(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_lines() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = &quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "&quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "&shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. AUTHORS
Maintainer is Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Text::ParseWords(3pm)