Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell input to remove every second file in a directory Post 302672133 by alpha_mouse on Monday 16th of July 2012 03:10:08 AM
Old 07-16-2012
I want to delete every other / second file in a directory.

As there are 10.000+ file in this dir, I don't want to do this manually?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

input a line at the beginning of every file in a directory?

if need to input a word or anything at the beginning of every file in a directory. how do i accomplish this? say the file is named hyperten. how do i make hyperten the first line of every file in a given directory? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing directory in an input file

Hi, How can I removed the directory in the input file? The script responsible for storing the report in an input file is this: while }" ] do echo "penetration|${penfilename}|${penfilenamedaterange}" >> ${OUT_DIR}/penrpt_emailfile.txt (( i=i+1 )) done For the penfilename: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrysSty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

a remove script taken in input a file which contain a list of directories

Hi, I'm looking to delete some files from directories. I've just put in a file the location of these files. e.g: in file supprs.txt there is: /usr/host/t1.txt /etc/dev/u1.java /home/new/files/view.c Is it possible to take this file "supprs.txt" as a parameter in a shell command ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a directory structure with getting input from a file.

Hi How to create a directory structure with getting input from a file. I have file in that following lines are written. ./activemq-4.1.2/activemq-core-4.1.2.jar ./activemq-4.1.2/backport-util-concurrent-2.1.jar ./camel-1.4.0/apache-camel-1.4.0.jar ./camel-1.4.0/lib/activation-1.1.jar... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove shell script and its directory

Hi, I have shell script which is located in /opt/Test/test.sh code in test.sh is as follows #!/bin/sh rm -rf /opt/Test exit 0 when I tried to execute the above script from its location, it shows the following error rm: Cannot remove any directory in the path of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate columns in input file

hello, I have an input file which looks like this: 2 C:G 17 -0.14 8.75 33.35 3 G:C 16 -2.28 0.98 28.22 4 C:G 15 0.39 11.06 29.31 5 G:C 14 2.64 5.17 36.07 6 G:C 13 -0.65 2.05 21.94 7 C:G 11 138.96 21.64 14.40 9 C:G 27 -2.40 6.95 27.98 10 C:G 26 2.89 15.60 34.33 11 G:C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_usr
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell to script to remove directory

Hello All I want to delete the directory in my tree structure . all the filenames like this dd-mm-yyyy Example 30-01-2011 31-01-2011 01-02-2011 I want to grep the latest last four days created directorey by not using the find command . how do i do that ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kvk_shell
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing users input to a file in another directory?

how would i go about comparing a users input to a file which is in another directory? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace in a directory using an input file

Hi folks, I need help to finish this script please. see below: I have an input file with all the IP address to names formated like so in a txt file addnsr1pri 166.7.3.105 addnsr1sec 166.2.100.22 addnsr2pri 166.2.220.121 addnsr2sec 166.3.68.45... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove Comment Lines From Script/Input File

Hello, I have a SAS code that predominantly has comments line and the real code like below and i want to remove ONLY THE COMMENTS from the code in the single line or spanned across multiple lines. /******************************************************************** *** This Is a Comment... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arooonatr
4 Replies
WRJPGCOM(1)						      General Commands Manual						       WRJPGCOM(1)

NAME
wrjpgcom - insert text comments into a JPEG file SYNOPSIS
wrjpgcom [ -replace ] [ -comment text ] [ -cfile name ] [ filename ] DESCRIPTION
wrjpgcom reads the named JPEG/JFIF file, or the standard input if no file is named, and generates a new JPEG/JFIF file on standard output. A comment block is added to the file. The JPEG standard allows "comment" (COM) blocks to occur within a JPEG file. Although the standard doesn't actually define what COM blocks are for, they are widely used to hold user-supplied text strings. This lets you add annotations, titles, index terms, etc to your JPEG files, and later retrieve them as text. COM blocks do not interfere with the image stored in the JPEG file. The maximum size of a COM block is 64K, but you can have as many of them as you like in one JPEG file. wrjpgcom adds a COM block, containing text you provide, to a JPEG file. Ordinarily, the COM block is added after any existing COM blocks; but you can delete the old COM blocks if you wish. OPTIONS
Switch names may be abbreviated, and are not case sensitive. -replace Delete any existing COM blocks from the file. -comment text Supply text for new COM block on command line. -cfile name Read text for new COM block from named file. If you have only one line of comment text to add, you can provide it on the command line with -comment. The comment text must be sur- rounded with quotes so that it is treated as a single argument. Longer comments can be read from a text file. If you give neither -comment nor -cfile, then wrjpgcom will read the comment text from standard input. (In this case an input image file name MUST be supplied, so that the source JPEG file comes from somewhere else.) You can enter multiple lines, up to 64KB worth. Type an end-of-file indicator (usually control-D) to terminate the comment text entry. wrjpgcom will not add a COM block if the provided comment string is empty. Therefore -replace -comment "" can be used to delete all COM blocks from a file. EXAMPLES
Add a short comment to in.jpg, producing out.jpg: wrjpgcom -c "View of my back yard" in.jpg > out.jpg Attach a long comment previously stored in comment.txt: wrjpgcom in.jpg < comment.txt > out.jpg or equivalently wrjpgcom -cfile comment.txt < in.jpg > out.jpg SEE ALSO
cjpeg(1), djpeg(1), jpegtran(1), rdjpgcom(1) AUTHOR
Independent JPEG Group 15 June 1995 WRJPGCOM(1)