Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting txt file into CSV using awk or sed Post 302672019 by ksk on Sunday 15th of July 2012 03:58:15 PM
Old 07-15-2012
'awk --version' gives 'mawk: not an option: --version'. 'man awk' gives the man page for mawk. Should I get something else?

---------- Post updated at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:16 AM ----------

Hi agama, the fix makes it work almost perfectly. Oddly, the CSV file has the title in quotes sometimes but not other times, and it doesn't seem to follow any pattern. Should I attach the txt file and csv for reference?

---------- Post updated at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:19 AM ----------

Ah, some of the title entries have quotes because they have commas in them. Can I modify the code so it puts all title entries in quotes by default? I tried removing
Code:
if( index( stuff[x], "," ) )            # must quote if it has commas

. That puts quotes on everything which is fine except then I need the quotes to disappear on the date field.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting xls file to txt file and xls to csv

I need to convert an excel file into a text file and an excel file into a CSV file.. any code to do that is appreciated thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bandar007
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting txt file to csv file

Hi, Using rsync, I've sent the output to a text file. This is the text file : Pls help me on converting this text file to a csv file. Probably a script or sth to convert the text file to a csv file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk/sed in handling csv file.

Please study the below script and the output Script: echo "Minimum ${host} ${process} response time=${min} ms" >> ${OUTDIR}/${OUTFILE}; echo "Maximum ${host} ${process} response time=${max} ms" >> ${OUTDIR}/${OUTFILE}; echo "Average ${host} ${process} response time=${avg} ms" >>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajincoep
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting txt file in csv

HI All, I have a text file memory.txt which has following values. Average: 822387 7346605 89.93 288845 4176593 2044589 51883 2.47 7600 i want to convert this file in csv format and i am using following command to do it. sed s/_/\./g <... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkashif
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed/something else for csv file

Hi, I have a filename.csv in which there are 3 colums, ie: Name ; prefixnumber ; number root ; 020 ; 1234567 user1,2,3 ; 070 ; 7654321 What I want is to merge colum 2 and 3 that it becomes 0201234567 or even better +31201234567 so the country number is used and drop the leading 0.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: necron
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using csh / awk / sed to compare database sizes in a txt file

Hello, I have an output file showing database sizes across the 3 environments that I use (LIVE, TEST & DEVELOPMENT). I am trying to write a script that lets me know if the size of a db on one environment is different to its corresponding db on the other environments. Here is an example... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevie_g
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print value from txt file to csv

Hi, I want to print two columns from a .txt file to a .csv file using awk. data in text file: Application -------------------------------------------------- ----------- OS Related Issues 1 EMEA Solutions ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashu_g
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk for converting xml to txt

Hi, I have a xml script, I converted it to .txt with values comma seperated using awk function. But I want the output values should be inside double quotes My xml script (Workorders.xml) is shown like below: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <scbm-extract version="3.3">... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viswanatheee55
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)