Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Conundrum - Flexible way to strip extension Post 302671949 by methyl on Sunday 15th of July 2012 09:17:05 AM
Old 07-15-2012
Take a look at the output from this tar command which just lists the contents of the archive.
Code:
tar tzf filename.tar.gz
# Or possilbly with the verbose switch
tar tvzf filename.tar.gz

If you run this and save the output, before running the tar xzf you have a file containing the name of the directory.
This is a general answer because we don't know anything about your Operating System or your Shell. All I can say is that the code posted is a syntax error in every Bourne-type Shell. There is much variation in the tar command.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask conundrum

Hi All, i was reading up on a umask question on this forum and have a question on this. the umask value on my home PC running on cygwin is 022. when i create a dir it defaults to permission 755, when i create a file it defaults to 644. Now it starts at 777 for dirs and 666 for files and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl:Regex for Search and Replace that has a flexible match

Hi, I'm trying to match the front and back of a sequence. It works when there is an exact match (obviously), but I need the regex to be more flexible. When we get strings of nucleotides sometimes their prefixes and suffixes aren't exact matches. Sometimes there will be an extra letter and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash command line to strip tar.gz file extension?

What's the command syntax for stripping out the tar.gz file extension in a bash command line (not script file). Thanks! prompt/> ls *.tar.gz | <what comes here?> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZillaG
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

iptables conundrum

Ok, if youre reading this prepare yourself.(debian based os) so im trying to do this routing with ip tables, i need to forward/SNAT traffic from 192.168.111.1 to 10.10.10.250, the 192.x.x.x ips are being shoved into a honeyd like program called inetsim so its offline, 10.10.10.125 is connected... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shocco
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display the .csv extension files based on .done extension fine

Hi All, I want to fetch the files based on .done file and display the .csv files and Wil take .csv files for processing. 1.I need to display the .done files from the directory. 2.next i need to search for the .Csv files based on .done file.then move .csv files for the one directory ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija.g6
2 Replies
SHAPE_TAR(1)						      General Commands Manual						      SHAPE_TAR(1)

NAME
shape_tar - shapeTools RMS bundle up subsystem in a tar or shar archive SYNOPSIS
shape tar[VERSIONS=<version_selection_rule>] [ARCHIVE=<filename>] shape shar[VERSIONS=<version_selection_rule>] [ARCHIVE=<filename>] DESCRIPTION
Shape tar and shape shar create a tar or a shar archive containing all source components of the current node in the system tree. All source components listed in the COMPONENTS macro in the Makefile and the release identification file (VERSIONFILE) are written to the archive. Components of subsystems are not included in the archive file. The VERSIONS macro may be set to specify a version selection rule to be active during archive file creation. Default is most_recent, selecting the most recent version of each component. See shape_stdrul(7) or the $(SHAPELIBPATH)/stdrules for other possible settings. You may also use self defined version selection rules as VERSIONS. ARCHIVE is the base name of the file where the output shall be written to. Default is $(SUBSYSTEMNAME). The output file gets the filename extension .tar (resp. .shar). When ARCHIVE=- is given, data will be written to standard output. SEE ALSO
shape_RMS(1), shape_stdrul(7) FILES
$(SUBSYSTEMNAME).tar $(SUBSYSTEMNAME).shar 29.9.119 SHAPE_TAR(1)