Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting DOS filetype to UNIX Post 302671835 by ksk on Saturday 14th of July 2012 05:35:47 PM
Old 07-14-2012
Converting DOS filetype to UNIX

Hello folks

I am working on a project that requires me to write a script that operates on a bunch of text files. When I try
Code:
less file.txt

I see a bunch of ^M's everywhere. Some Googling tells me that this is because the files have a DOS fileformat and found the following fixes:
Code:
sed 's/^M$//' file.txt > output.txt

or
Code:
dos2unix file.txt

Alas, neither of these approaches seems to work. When I open the file in gedit, everything is formatted appropriately and if I use gedit to save the file as file1.txt, the new file is fine when I do
Code:
less file1.txt

too. Is there anything I can do to fix the file from command line?

---------- Post updated at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:00 AM ----------

Sorry folks, I just realized that the files are Mac OS Classic file format and not DOS. I wrote a little awk script that fixes things now. I'm very sorry for the confusion. I'd appreciate it if a moderator can remove the thread.

Thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DOS to Unix translator

I know nothing of unix and didn't know where to start. I've heard of a DOS to Unix translator, and since I know DOS pretty well, I thought that this program would be perfect. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Bryan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bferguson
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Shell script to Dos batch files

Hi friends! I am having some simple shell script files to build postgresql database and all. Now i want to convert those scripts to dos batch scripts(to run on windows XP/2000/NT) because there is no need of unix emulation for latest release of postgresql. Please somebody help me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darwinkna
1 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Converting UNIX scripts to DOS

Is there a tool available to convert UNIX (BASH Shell) scripts to DOS scripts? I understand that DOS scripting is far inferior to unix scripting, and therfore this conversion may not be possible. Alternativley, perhaps I could convert my Unix scripts to C... then compile it for a windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crozz
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

telnet from unix to dos

hi eveybody, i use sco unix as server and dos as client . how i can connect from unix server to dos client ( how to telnet to dos and run commands?)? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shrb78
1 Replies

5. SCO

telnet from unix to dos

hi eveybody, i use sco unix as server and dos as client . how i can connect from unix server to dos client ( how to telnet to dos and run commands?)? thanks. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

telnet from unix to dos

hi eveybody, i use sco unix as server and dos as client . how i can connect from unix server to dos client ( how to telnet to dos and run commands?)? thanks. (8 Replies)
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dos-Unix Connectivity

Hi, Is there any method to connect unix box(Excecuting unix commands through Batch Files) through DOS prompt. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekhar_ssm
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/MS-DOs scipt

Is any one who know a good tutorial for Unix bash script and Ms-Dos scipt?? if yes, if is possible to upload it or give me the link??? What is the difference betwwen uvix and ms-dos script?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tom2
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

converting scripts from dos 2 unix format

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and exploring it , I have developed few sample shell script but I have developed them on windows xp notepad and then saving them on folder and then testing them on cywgin and running perfectly...but these scripts are in dos format and I want to convert them in unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul125
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting DOS Batch file to Shell Script

Hi, This is my DOS Batch file. @echo off echo "Program Name :" %0 rem echo "Next param :" %1 echo "Next param :" "Username/Password" echo "User Id :" %2 echo "User Name :" %3 echo "Request ID ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rami Reddy
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)