Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String == isn't working in [[-test Post 302671803 by agama on Saturday 14th of July 2012 04:06:40 PM
Old 07-14-2012
The expression that is contained within double braces can take many forms, but the general syntax is one of

Code:
<operator> <string>

or
Code:
<operator> <filename>

or
Code:
<string> <operator> <pattern>

Because the strings and filenames do not need to be quoted, there is no way for the interpreter to determine whether xx is a string or a variable name that should be expanded. Thus, you must explicitly dereference the variables you wish to have expanded as you have done in your first working example.

This is different than in arithmetic expressions (( expression )) where the interpreter can assume that any string references are variable names to be evaluated as such.

You might want to read over the information here:
Bash Reference Manual

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

grep -r isn't working

Hi, I was trying to use this particular option of grep grep -r 'Search_pattern' * This command should ideally search all the occurrences of Search_pattern recursively within a directory & print it on shell prompt. But this command is not doing what is expected. It just displays nothin! ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which Sendmail version ? and why -d isn't working

Hi, I am trying to figure out which version I am running of sendmail, but I am buffed. This is what I get sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null sendmail: illegal option -- d Telneting to my host: ~]$ telnet localhost 25 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saariko
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why isn't this working? tsch-doit file

#! /usr/tsch foreach f (`cat contacts.list`) awk '{printf ($2 in a) ? ","$5 : (NR>1) ? RS $2 FS $5 : $2 FS $5; a} END{print e}' $f > $f_inter.map end My file: cat contacts.list is just a list of files. I get this error: doit_contacts2intermap.sh: Command not found. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lost
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

a very basic sed one-liner...that isn't working :-(

Greetings all. :) I would like to use sed to join all non-blank lines together in a particular file. I was thinking I could do this by simply replacing the terminating, new-line character on every line which is not blank, but I must be missing something in my sed line: $ sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteveB-in-LV
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk isn't working

awk 'BEGIN{print '1.2449'**0.5}' awk: line 1: syntax error at or near * can someone help me troubleshoot the above command? i'm trying to do the square root of 1.2449. this command works on Red Hat, but for some reasonn isn't working on kubuntu (latest version). shell is bash. i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab - runninf a java script just isn't quite working...

hi gurus. I have a little script that runs java from a certain directory. This script runs fine when run manually but when I try to schedule it, it fails to find the script. little_script.sh.. /<directory of java>/java -classpath... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrCarter
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

export of a variable isn't working

Hi I want export input data ... echo "month: " read m export m=$m also export m is not working ? the month-variable should be exportet for the use in other scripts, but it is not working like this. What i'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance! IMPe (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
10 Replies

10. HP-UX

Syslog daemon isn't working

Hi All, I've tried starting syslogd on our hp-ux 11.31 server. However, it is not getting started nor it is updating the syslog file. There is no space issue also. However, the mail.log file is approx 2GB, can that be of any issue. Please find the details below: # /sbin/init.d/syslogd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
2 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)