Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX commands for a script that I need Post 302671773 by TitanTlaloc on Saturday 14th of July 2012 01:24:04 PM
Old 07-14-2012
UNIX commands for a script that I need

Hello. I need help trying to create a script in UNIX to do the following steps. I don't know which commands to input to achieve this.

1. In a directory tree, I want to duplicate all .txt files into the same directory, so 2 of each file exists in each directory where there is a .txt file

In the newly created files, I need to:
2. Change the extension to .dat
3. Remove the first 2 lines of text
4. Copy the first 8 lines from an outside, static file, and paste them into the first 8 lines of the newly created files

I don't know if the steps above are the right way to approach what I want to accomplish so I would appreciate any insight and help you all have to offer.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt on Executing unix commands in script

How can I execute the unix command "cd - Change directory" command, so that my command prompt should be reflected for that change. Example : Now you are in your home directory i.e /home/naresh and you have some sub directory called unixinfo in your home directory. i want to write a script,so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naresh Kumar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix commands in perl script

I am totally new to unix commands but I need to understand the following command which is a part of a perl script..what does this mean? myPwd = $(pwd) myTracker = $myPwd/myTracker.out exec > $myTracker 2>&1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: athri
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a script by using unix commands to down any server

Hi, I need to do frequently server down and up. Every time i am using nearly 5 to 6 commands to down and agin i am using the commands to up. Can anybody help me to write a script to down and up. which i can use once on unix platform it can down later it can up the server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreerao
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running multiple unix commands in a single script

Hi, I would like to write a script with include more than 6 unix commands. my script like below: echo " script started" ls -ld bdf | grep "rama" tail -10 log.txt ... .. ... now, i want to run above unix commands one by one. example: first the ls -ld command will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running unix commands in a perl script

Executing two unix commads via perl script one after another e.g: make clean bsub -i -q short make have tried using exec but the second command doesnt executes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajroshan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

commands to execute unix script

commands to execute unix script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunilamarnadh
1 Replies

7. Web Development

cgi script and external UNIX commands (like swadm)

Hi, I am trying to implement a server monitoring dashboard using cgi scripting. I am planning to run the necessary unix scripts from the web page using cgi. This method works fine for standard unix commands but I am unable to run some external unix commands (like swadm show_processes, swadm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jofinjoseph
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help embedding Unix commands in a shell script

Hi Folks, I have a text file which may or may not have any data. I would like to email the file, via a Korn shell script, if the file is not empty. I am fiddling around with the wc -l command, but no luck so far. The pseudo code is as follows count=`wc -l test.txt` if cat test.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows Batch script for Unix commands

I wish to create a folder on a unix server B from my windows box using windows batch script. Below is my windows batch script. @ ECHO OFF ::Enter your Directory name: echo Enter your Directory name: set /p mydir= plink user1@ServerA mkdir %mydir% At plink command i get logged... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a UNIX script file with multiple commands

Hi Good morning all, I want to create script file with multiple commands. For ex: pmrep connect is one of the command to connect to repository. pmrep objectexport is another command to export objects to a file. These commands should run sequentially.But when i try to execute this, the first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SekhaReddy
4 Replies
PASTE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste -- merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file ... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility concatenates the corresponding lines of the given input files, replacing all but the last file's newline characters with a single tab character, and writes the resulting lines to standard output. If end-of-file is reached on an input file while other input files still contain data, the file is treated as if it were an endless source of empty lines. The options are as follows: -d list Use one or more of the provided characters to replace the newline characters instead of the default tab. The characters in list are used circularly, i.e., when list is exhausted the first character from list is reused. This continues until a line from the last input file (in default operation) or the last line in each file (using the -s option) is displayed, at which time paste begins selecting characters from the beginning of list again. The following special characters can also be used in list: newline character tab character \ backslash character Empty string (not a null character). Any other character preceded by a backslash is equivalent to the character itself. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The newline character of every line except the last line in each input file is replaced with the tab character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. If '-' is specified for one or more of the input files, the standard input is used; standard input is read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of '-'. EXIT STATUS
The paste utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
List the files in the current directory in three columns: ls | paste - - - Combine pairs of lines from a file into single lines: paste -s -d ' ' myfile Number the lines in a file, similar to nl(1): sed = myfile | paste -s -d ' ' - - Create a colon-separated list of directories named bin, suitable for use in the PATH environment variable: find / -name bin -type d | paste -s -d : - SEE ALSO
cut(1), lam(1) STANDARDS
The paste utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A paste command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 25, 2004 BSD