Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing gunzipped filename to a variable Post 302671763 by alister on Saturday 14th of July 2012 12:43:18 PM
Old 07-14-2012
gunzip will rename the file for you.

If you need to control the filename of the uncompressed file, you can have gunzip write to a redirected standard output.

You might also be interested in the uncompressed filename displayed by -l. But, I don't know since your goal is a mystery.

If you need further help, why don't you show us the entire script, and explain what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv Filename variable to another filename

Anyone who can assist : I am trying to pass the group vairiable to a filename: rpt_tsavegrp=/export/legato/scripts/$group_savegrp_rpt.$dat It will not pass to variable. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong here. Thanks # This script sends email that save group completed.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gzs553
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Filename as a Parameter to Another script

Hi, I have a requirement to write a script file(script1.sh) to read the file from the folder say /usr1/profiles/active and pass the file name as a parameter to another script file say (script2.sh) which would subsitute this parameter. The script2.sh will have a line like the one below ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravisg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a variable inside another variable.

Any help would be great. I know this is a dumb way of doing this, but I would like to know if there is a solution doing it this way. I'm very new at this and I'd like to learn more. Thanks! :D:D count=0 while ; do echo "enter your name" read name_$count let count=count+1 done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reconflux
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable used as filename

Hello, i'm fairly new to scripting, so please bear with me (I did try looking this up first, i figured it had to have been asked already). #!/bin/bash fileName=`date | sed -n 's/ /_/g p' | sed -n 's/^/Backup_/p' | sed -n 's/$/\.tar/p'`; #THIS SETS BACKUP_DATE echo $fileName #TEST OF VALUE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing filename as parameter and displaying the file contents

Hi All, Its extremely urgent regarding the following requirement. I have created few files in a directory. I have write a program in shell scripting such that it prompts for the filename . once the filename is entered,it should print the contents of the file. Can anyone help with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhi2424
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing filename dynamically in SPOOL of SQL*PLUS in shell script

Hi all, I am executing shell script in which I am using SQLLDR In this SQLLDR I am passing text file having PL/SQL script. This script will produce some formated output, this output I have to spool in another text file. Currently I have given this in script file as following Spool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekharjchandra
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing dynamic variable within another variable.

I have a small program which needs to pass variable dynamically to form the name of a second variable whose value wil be passed on to a third variable. ***************** Program Start ****************** LOC1=/loc1 PAT1IN=/loc2 PAT2IN=/loc3 if ; then for fpattern in `cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyril Jos
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

10. Programming

Python passing filename through argument

Hello, A python beginner question on passing filename thru argument. My code is: #!/usr/bin/python import sys, getopt import os def main(argv): try: opts, args = getopt.getopt(sys.argv,"hi:o:ce", ) except getopt.GetoptError: usage() print("Usage: %s... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies
GZIP(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   GZIP(1)

NAME
gzip -- compression/decompression tool using Lempel-Ziv coding (LZ77) SYNOPSIS
gzip [-cdfhlNnqrtVv] [-S suffix] file [file [...]] gunzip [-cfhNqrtVv] [-S suffix] file [file [...]] zcat [-fhV] file [file [...]] DESCRIPTION
The gzip program compresses and decompresses files using Lempel-Ziv coding (LZ77). If no files are specified, gzip will compress from stan- dard input, or decompress to standard output. When in compression mode, each file will be replaced with another file with the suffix, set by the -S suffix option, added, if possible. In decompression mode, each file will be checked for existence, as will the file with the suffix added. If invoked as gunzip then the -d option is enabled. If invoked as zcat or gzcat then both the -c and -d options are enabled. This version of gzip is also capable of decompressing files compressed using compress(1) or bzip2(1). OPTIONS
The following options are available: -1, --fast -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9, --best These options change the compression level used, with the -1 option being the fastest, with less compression, and the -9 option being the slowest, with optimal compression. The default compression level is 6. -c, --stdout, --to-stdout This option specifies that output will go to the standard output stream, leaving files intact. -d, --decompress, --uncompress This option selects decompression rather than compression. -f, --force This option turns on force mode. This allows files with multiple links, overwriting of pre-existing files, reading from or writing to a terminal, and when combined with the -c option, allowing non-compressed data to pass through unchanged. -h, --help This option prints a usage summary and exits. -l, --list This option displays information about the file's compressed and uncompressed size, ratio, uncompressed name. With the -v option, it also displays the compression method, CRC, date and time embedded in the file. -N, --name This option causes the stored filename in the input file to be used as the output file. -n, --no-name This option stops the filename and timestamp from being stored in the output file. -q, --quiet With this option, no warnings or errors are printed. -r, --recursive This option is used to gzip the files in a directory tree individually, using the fts(3) library. -S suffix, --suffix suffix This option changes the default suffix from .gz to suffix. -t, --test This option will test compressed files for integrity. -V, --version This option prints the version of the gzip program. -v, --verbose This option turns on verbose mode, which prints the compression ratio for each file compressed. ENVIRONMENT
If the environment variable GZIP is set, it is parsed as a white-space separated list of options handled before any options on the command line. Options on the command line will override anything in GZIP. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), compress(1), xz(1), fts(3), zlib(3) HISTORY
The gzip program was originally written by Jean-loup Gailly, licensed under the GNU Public Licence. Matthew R. Green wrote a simple front end for NetBSD 1.3 distribution media, based on the freely re-distributable zlib library. It was enhanced to be mostly feature-compatible with the original GNU gzip program for NetBSD 2.0. This manual documents NetBSD gzip version 20040427. AUTHORS
This implementation of gzip was written by Matthew R. Green <mrg@eterna.com.au>. BSD
June 18, 2011 BSD