Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Why unix passwd are hidden when while login Post 302671595 by Corona688 on Friday 13th of July 2012 05:22:06 PM
Old 07-13-2012
If you're working in a terminal, it's because the echo setting for the terminal has been disabled by the login program. Nothing gets shown at all, except for what the program on the other end prints.

It doesn't even print *'s, since that would help someone watching guess how long your password is.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden chars in Unix can be replaced?

We have some unseen chars in unix, like '^T's, can be seen with 'cat -v' command. Is there any way, with which, we can replace these ^T s with a space? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Script with hidden login name and Password

hi, i need a method to hide the login name and password ....during FTP ....in the script.. thnks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpiyanz
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Login to diff server w/o prompts for passwd

Is there any way to login to another server with out getting prompted for the password? Is there a way to embed the password in a script and use either telnet or rlogin (or some other prg)? I need to do some file manipulation on several servers for out ORACLE 10g RAC and need to automated so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vslewis
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading hidden files at login

what does the korn shell read? what does the c shell read? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Force user to change passwd on first login

Hello All, How to force user to change his login passwd on his first login in solaris 10 ? while adding user do we need to set the password in theis case?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 allow ssh login with empty passwd

I have turned off PermitEmptyPasswords in sshd_config, but a user with empty passwd (deleted by passwd -d user) can still login without password, why? it is big security concern, linux doesn't have the issue. $ uname -a SunOS 5.10 Generic_118855-14 i86pc i386 i86pc ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in passing passwd to login into a sudo account

Hi Gurus, I have small issue... I used to pass the passwd for sudo commands like below, gzcat ~/passwd.gz | sudo su - <villin> >> eof ------ ----- ------ eof And it was able to login into "villin" sudo account successfully. But now, I'm using the same in another script for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Passwd -f locks out login

hello; I have inherited a SunOS sjcorpftp 5.10 Generic_118855-36 i86pc i386 i86pc whenever someone needs a new password, I change it via "passwd username" then "passwd -f username" so they can change their password on my only sun sparc 5.9 you can "accessed denied" when you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikeleong
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
enhance(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        enhance(1)

NAME
enhance - enhanced command-line editing facilities SYNOPSIS
enhance command [argument...] DESCRIPTION
The enhance program provides enhanced command-line editing facilities to users of third party applications, to which one doesn't have any source code. It does this by placing a pseudo-terminal between the application and the real terminal. It uses the tecla command-line edit- ing library to read input from the real terminal, then forwards each just completed input line to the application via the pseudo-terminal. All output from the application is forwarded back unchanged to the real terminal. Whenever the application stops generating output for more than a tenth of a second, the enhance program treats the latest incomplete output line as the prompt, and redisplays any incompleted input line that the user has typed after it. Note that the small delay, which is imper- ceptible to the user, isn't necessary for correct operation of the program.It is just an optimization, designed to stop the input line from being redisplayed so often that it slows down output. Note that the user-level command-line editing facilities provided by the Tecla library are documented in the tecla(5) man page DEFICIENCIES The one major problem that hasn't been solved yet, is how to deal with applications that change whether typed input is echo'd by their con- trolling terminal. For example, programs that ask for a password, such as ftp and telnet, temporarily tell their controlling terminal not to echo what the user types. Since this request goes to the application side of the psuedo terminal, the enhance program has no way of knowing that this has happened, and continues to echo typed input to its controlling terminal, while the user types their password. Furthermore, before executing the host application, the enhance program initially sets the pseudo terminal to noecho mode, so that every- thing that it sends to the program doesn't get redundantly echoed. If a program that switches to noecho mode explicitly restores echoing afterwards, rather than restoring the terminal modes that were previously in force, then subsequently, every time that you enter a new input line, a duplicate copy will be displayed on the next line. FILES
/usr/lib/libtecla.so tecla library ~/.teclarc tecla personal customization file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libtecla(3LIB), attributes(5), tecla(5) SunOS 5.10 18 May 2004 enhance(1)