Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Not able to create alias in bash Sun solaris Post 302671145 by krsnadasa on Friday 13th of July 2012 07:14:03 AM
Old 07-13-2012
Not able to create alias in bash Sun solaris

Hello Friends,

I am facing problem in creating aliases.

I am working in SunOS 5.10. When I login in system i have been given ksh shell.

What i am doing is that ?

I am changing shell to bash then I am creating 2 alias in command prompt like:
Code:
alias deploy_dir=' cd /opt/home/deploy/'
alias log_dir=' cd /opt/home/javalogs/'

It is working fine in command prompt. But when kept these 2 cmds in shell script and executed it gives error like:
myalias.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
alias deploy_dir=' cd /opt/home/deploy/'
alias log_dir=' cd /opt/home/javalogs/'

Scripts run successfully but when i tried to type:
bash-3.00$ deploy_dir
bash: deploy_dir: command not found
bash-3.00$ log_dir
bash: log_dir: command not found

Please suggest what is wrong?

Thanks
Krsna

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Create an alias

I want to create an alias that will grep the passwd file for the logged in persons username and then it will return the password file entry. I want to pipe the whoami info to the grep command. I have created the following: % alias whopw grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mozark
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Can i create pcfs partition using sun solaris 10 ?

Can i use the sun solaris 10 to create Fat32 partition ? and i have another question im so confused between format command an fdisk within it, and mkfs and newfs, well what i got is that i have to use format to create partition physcially in my hard disk then i have to use mkfs or newfs (which is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a alias with an argument

If I want to create an alias called "cdr", and this alias need an argument (for example arg1)followed by "cdr", the result should go to the directory like "/home/ting/arg1/report/logs", the command should look like below, alias cdr arg1 "cd /home/ting/\!$1/report/logs" (not working)::( ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ting123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create Alias on Desktop

Hi, I just need a simple UNIX command to send out over ARD that will create an alias to an application and place it on the desktop. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yodomino6
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create an ALIAS....

Hi GUYS, I need to create an alias for the the connect statement. I want to replace "CONNECT TO DBNAME" to "CONNECT TO DBNAME user USERID using PASSWORD" I thought i will add an alias in the .profile. But its not working. May be because i am trying to create it for 3 words instead of one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

linux bash script to sun solaris

Hi guys, I seek a solution for this action for Sun solaris. find /sapmnt/${up}/global -prune -printf "%m %M %u %g %p\n" > $DAT1 The Application/Utilities in Sun Solaris are to old and cant understand "-printf". An update for Application/Utilities is exist, but not possible to implement... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ixibits
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Create Unix printer in sun Solaris

Guy's Can anyone explain how to Create Unix printer in Solaris what's the exact steps to create Unix direct printer ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create an alias

I want to create an alias cpage4 and create a postscript file For example I want to call cpage4 file.f which creates the file file.ps I have written like this but don't know how to continue alias cpage4 '/usr/bin/mpage -m40 -4AHP- \!* (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies
COMMAND-NOT-FOUND(1)					    http://en.opensuse.org/Sco					      COMMAND-NOT-FOUND(1)

NAME
command-not-found - A command-not-found handler SYNOPSIS
command-not-found {binary_name} {repository} ARGUMENTS
The following arguments are required: binary_name The name of binary you are looking for. repository The name of repository for search. For most cases, use zypp DESCRIPTION
command-not-found handler is designed to tell users which package contains a missing command. The handler is integrated to bash(1) and zsh(1) shells and is not necessary to call it directly. Just type a name of the command in your favourite shell and you'll get a result. If you consider c-n-f handler useless, just add unset command_not_found_handle to your profile or remove the command-not-found package. Handler doesn't call the command-not-found binary directly, it only prints info about it. If you want to invoke it automatically, just add export COMMAND_NOT_FOUND_AUTO=1 to your bash profile. EXAMPLE
: NORMAL USAGE For example you want to try blender, because you have heard that is an amazing program. So just type blender in shell: $ blender You get the following output: The program 'blender' can be found in the following package: * blender [ path: /usr/bin/blender, repository: zypp (openSUSE 11.1-0) ] Try installing with: sudo zypper install blender bash: blender: command not found SEE ALSO
scout(1) AUTHOR
Pavol Rusnak <stick@gk2.sk> Developer http://gitorious.org/opensus 08/07/2009 COMMAND-NOT-FOUND(1)