Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Software For Server Environment Documentation Post 302670989 by bakunin on Thursday 12th of July 2012 08:42:45 PM
Old 07-12-2012
Now, as you have described what you want to do it is a lot easier to give advice. Have you said that before i would have written the following a week ago:

My suggestion is to set up a Wiki for this. You can group the articles via categories and this way create a structure, while retaining all the free-text capabiliies a database would deny you, With a database you will have to decide on the structure beforehand, with a Wiki you can (re-)design as you go. Start somewhere and over time the documentation will mature.

Still, some planning is not bad before you start to write: lay out a basic category structure and you might want to create some templates for more record-oriented data (servers, networks, SAN shares, ...). A server description template with properties like hostname, resources, OS version/release, IP address, etc. is quite similar to a table layout in a database: you define properties of a (class of) objects - here it is records in a table, there it is articles with an identical layout.

Setup of a Wiki is straightforward and takes typically some minutes, not more. An advantage is that the information is propagated via a web server, so you do not have to take it with you and the only tool you need to work with it is a web browser.
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unix software & documentation.

I need to install unix sun solaries software on my machine. But i don't have software & documentation to install on my system. Could you please send me the free software and documentation regarding unix sun solaries? Regards, rajesh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Give Solaris server documentation

If you have documents of preconfigured Solaris server with all tuned improvements.. This is all about how it is released, as first example. It must contain ready instructions to setup server from scratch in a case of global system crash mb some FS tunings (i.e. log fs, var fs) mb some ready... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

3. Programming

good continuous integration and automatic documentation software for c++

Started using trac and svn and it is working nicely, but am looking for some other things to add: continuous integration, automatic documentation. What suggestions do you guys have for the most full featured easy to use software for this? Stuff I am looking for: continuous integration... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eruditass
1 Replies
describe(1)					       The Computational Morphometry Toolkit					       describe(1)

NAME
describe - Describe image file formats and parameters SYNOPSIS
describe [options] imageFile0 [imageFile1 ...] DESCRIPTION
This tool prints a detailed description of the input image(s) OPTIONS
Global Toolkit Options (these are shared by all CMTK tools) --help Write list of basic command line options to standard output. --help-all Write complete list of basic and advanced command line options to standard output. --wiki Write list of command line options to standard output in MediaWiki markup. --man Write man page source in 'nroff' markup to standard output. --version Write toolkit version to standard output. --echo Write the current command line to standard output. --verbose-level <integer> Set verbosity level. --verbose, -v Increment verbosity level by 1 (deprecated; supported for backward compatibility). --threads <integer> Set maximum number of parallel threads (for POSIX threads and OpenMP). Main Options --machine-readable, -m Print output in format that is easy to parse automatically. --read-ras Read image in RAS orientation AUTHORS
Torsten Rohlfing, with contributions from Michael P. Hasak, Greg Jefferis, Calvin R. Maurer, and Daniel B. Russakoff LICENSE
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.html BUGS
Report bugs at http://nitrc.org/projects/cmtk/ ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
From April 2009 through September 2011, CMTK Development and Maintenance was supported by the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering under Grant No.R01 EB008381 (PI: Torsten Rohlfing). CMTK 2.2.2 Jul 20 2012 describe(1)