Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Piping fails in locale other than English Post 302670957 by adam.wis on Thursday 12th of July 2012 04:52:35 PM
Old 07-12-2012
If this is just an encoding problem, is there a way to fix it? Is it a matter of my script not having the right encoding? I tried using file -i to determine its encoding but all I get is "regular file."

I suppose I can get around piping by storing the output of each command in a temp file, but is this good practice?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please decode in English

Hello: Can anyone please decode this script in English. I have also made some comments which I know.. The actual script does not have one comment also.. #! /bin/ksh . odbmsprd_env.ksh #setting the env.. echo $0 Started at : `date '+%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S'` # what's echo $0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
4 Replies

2. SCO

gzip english version

Hello, i'm not skilled on unix, i'd like gzip/gunzip software and, ESPECIALLY, the detailed instructions for installation....please help me......i'm like a baby in unix world!!!!! hello, thanks a lot! mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfran2002
3 Replies

3. Ubuntu

LANG=C not English?

On Ubuntu 7.04, why would the "C" LANG parameter not be English: $ LANG=C locale LANG=C LANGUAGE=he_IL:he:en_GB:en LC_CTYPE="he_IL.utf8" LC_NUMERIC="he_IL.utf8" LC_TIME="he_IL.utf8" LC_COLLATE="he_IL.utf8" LC_MONETARY="he_IL.utf8" LC_MESSAGES="he_IL.utf8" LC_PAPER="he_IL.utf8"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Displaying the available locales in english

Hi, I am developing a program that would ask the user to set the locale. For that, I need to display them to user in plain english. like English(US) English (Uk) depending on the user selection I need to set the locale. Is there a command in redhat linux that would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translate to normal english

lnode * head = temp; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickym2626
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert english to chinese

Hi Experts, Can anyone help me to convert a english input into chinese in a bash script. help would be highly appreciable. thanks, Deepak (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translate from english to french

Hi, I wrote a script to convert a given word from English to French. But I am not able to figure out what I am missing here. I am not able to get the translated word Below is my script: French=/root/dict/entofr.txt for i in $* do word="echo $word $i" done while: do cat <<... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinky7630
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert number to english?

Hi gurus, I have a weird requirement. I need to convert the number to english lecture. I have 1.2 ....19 numbers I need to convert to first second third fourth, fifth, sixth... Is there any way convert it using unix command? thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
8 Replies
MB_INTERNAL_ENCODING(3) 						 1						   MB_INTERNAL_ENCODING(3)

mb_internal_encoding - Set/Get internal character encoding

SYNOPSIS
mixed mb_internal_encoding ([string $encoding = mb_internal_encoding()]) DESCRIPTION
Set/Get the internal character encoding PARAMETERS
o $encoding -$encoding is the character encoding name used for the HTTP input character encoding conversion, HTTP output character encoding conversion, and the default character encoding for string functions defined by the mbstring module. You should notice that the internal encoding is totally different from the one for multibyte regex. RETURN VALUES
If $encoding is set, then Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. In this case, the character encoding for multibyte regex is NOT changed. If $encoding is omitted, then the current character encoding name is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mb_internal_encoding(3) example <?php /* Set internal character encoding to UTF-8 */ mb_internal_encoding("UTF-8"); /* Display current internal character encoding */ echo mb_internal_encoding(); ?> SEE ALSO
mb_http_input(3), mb_http_output(3), mb_detect_order(3), mb_regex_encoding(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_INTERNAL_ENCODING(3)