Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Piping fails in locale other than English Post 302670947 by adam.wis on Thursday 12th of July 2012 04:34:29 PM
Old 07-12-2012
Thanks alister. Turning tracing on was a great idea.

I was able to get around my previous issue by finding an alternative to piping. However, I have another spot where I am also using a pipeline and I am seeing the same issue.

Code:
tail -n +$license_start $0 | head -n $length | uudecode -o /dev/stdout

(I am using a combination of head and tail to get encoded data between two line numbers and then piping that into uudecode. There is probably a better way to do this but for now id like to solve this piping issue.)

Alister, I took your advice and turned tracing on.
In en_US or C for the locale I get this:

Code:
+ tail -n +46382 ./install.sh
+ head -n 2217
+ uudecode -o /dev/stdout

(and then the decoded file)

In other locales like cs_CZ i get this:

Code:
+ tail -n +46382 ./install.sh | head -n 2217 | uudecode -o /dev/stdout

as if it is all one command...

I am very new to shells, encoding etc. Sorry, i do not know exactly which sh I am using.

However, I noticed that when I change the locale from cs_CZ to cs_CZ.UTF-8 piping works. Is this just an encoding problem?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 07-12-2012 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: code tags

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please decode in English

Hello: Can anyone please decode this script in English. I have also made some comments which I know.. The actual script does not have one comment also.. #! /bin/ksh . odbmsprd_env.ksh #setting the env.. echo $0 Started at : `date '+%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S'` # what's echo $0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
4 Replies

2. SCO

gzip english version

Hello, i'm not skilled on unix, i'd like gzip/gunzip software and, ESPECIALLY, the detailed instructions for installation....please help me......i'm like a baby in unix world!!!!! hello, thanks a lot! mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfran2002
3 Replies

3. Ubuntu

LANG=C not English?

On Ubuntu 7.04, why would the "C" LANG parameter not be English: $ LANG=C locale LANG=C LANGUAGE=he_IL:he:en_GB:en LC_CTYPE="he_IL.utf8" LC_NUMERIC="he_IL.utf8" LC_TIME="he_IL.utf8" LC_COLLATE="he_IL.utf8" LC_MONETARY="he_IL.utf8" LC_MESSAGES="he_IL.utf8" LC_PAPER="he_IL.utf8"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Displaying the available locales in english

Hi, I am developing a program that would ask the user to set the locale. For that, I need to display them to user in plain english. like English(US) English (Uk) depending on the user selection I need to set the locale. Is there a command in redhat linux that would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translate to normal english

lnode * head = temp; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickym2626
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert english to chinese

Hi Experts, Can anyone help me to convert a english input into chinese in a bash script. help would be highly appreciable. thanks, Deepak (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translate from english to french

Hi, I wrote a script to convert a given word from English to French. But I am not able to figure out what I am missing here. I am not able to get the translated word Below is my script: French=/root/dict/entofr.txt for i in $* do word="echo $word $i" done while: do cat <<... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinky7630
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert number to english?

Hi gurus, I have a weird requirement. I need to convert the number to english lecture. I have 1.2 ....19 numbers I need to convert to first second third fourth, fifth, sixth... Is there any way convert it using unix command? thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
8 Replies