Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command Post 302670787 by alister on Thursday 12th of July 2012 12:11:03 PM
Old 07-12-2012
Just put a space before the new text and it will be preserved (the bolded, red underscore is where the space would go):
Code:
sed '
/pattern1/ c\
_newtext1
/pattern2/ c\
_newtext2
' file

On an unrelated note, if you want to expand the value of a shell variable into the new text, you cannot use single quotes; you must use double quotes instead.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace space, that is not in html tags <> with new line using sed

Hi, I am working on transforming html code text into the .vert text format. I want to use linux utility sed. I have this regexp which should do the work: s/ \(?!*>\)/\n/g. I use it like this with sed: echo "you <we try> there" | sed 's/ \(?!*>\)/\n/g' ... The demanded output should be: you <we... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt1311
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert two strings at the beginning and at the end of each line of a file

Hi, excuse me for my poor english. My problem is that: I have a File i want to add to each line of that file two strings: one at the beginning of the line, one at the ending. string1="abcd" string2="efgh" i want $string1 content $string2 for each line. Is that possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux-fueled
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnu sed replace space with new line

please help in making sed singleline command i need to insert dos new line (CR LF) before " 34 matching device(s) found on \\cpu1." " 6 matching device(s) found on \\cpu7." " 102 matching device(s) found on \\mainserver." the problem is that sometimes there are both CR LF before strings and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xserg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace new line ( \n ) with space or Tab in Sed

Hi, how to replace new line with tab in sed ... i used sed -e 's/\n/\t/g' <filename > but its not working (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : replace space and end-of-line

Hi ! I'm rather new with sed ... learned a lot already by googling etc ... The following script should replace all spaces and ends-of-lines with "something (see below). #!/bin/bash i=0 while read line do fam="H`printf "%06d" $i`" echo $line | sed -e 's//\t'$fam'\n/g' i=$(($i+1))... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert 1 space using the command sed

Hi I want to use sed to insert one space after the 10'th character in every line. The lines are on this format: 2012-01-1012:30:55|7323456|65432 2011-02-0313:11:06|1223|3456 ...... ...... Does anyone know sed well enough to acomplish this? If there is any other way around this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ic12
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with multi lines from a var

I am trying to find a line in a file ("Replace_Flag") and replace it with a variable which hold a multi lined file. myVar=`cat myfile` sed -e 's/Replace_Flag/'$myVar'/' /pathto/test.file myfile: cat dog boy girl mouse house test.file: football hockey Replace_Flag baseball ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bblondin
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert output from a file to beginning of line with sed

Hi I've been trying to search but couldn't quite get the answer I was looking for. I have a a file that's like this Time, 9/1/12 0:00, 1033 0:10, 1044 ... 23:50, 1050 How do I make it so the file will be like this? 9/1/12, 0:00, 1033 9/1/12, 0:10, 1044 ... 9/1/12, 23:50, 1050 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diesel88
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text at the beginning of every even number line

i am trying to insert text at the beginning of every even number line with awk i can do it with odd number lines with this command awk 'NR%2{$0="some text "$0}1' filehow can i edit this command thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob123
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use sed to insert character in the beginning of file path?

I need to manipulate one Database file on Solaris 11 in which contains more than 5000 lines of data file path like this: '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/system01.dbf', '/data7/oradata/DBNAME/undotbs1_01.dbf', '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/sysaux01.dbf', '/data28/oradata/DBNAME/userdata01.dbf', ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
6 Replies
NCURSES_COLOR_CONTENT(3)						 1						  NCURSES_COLOR_CONTENT(3)

ncurses_color_content - Retrieves RGB components of a color

SYNOPSIS
int ncurses_color_content (int $color, int &$r, int &$g, int &$b) DESCRIPTION
Retrieves the red, green, and blue components for the given color definition. Terminal color capabilities must be initialized with ncurses_start_color(3) prior to calling this function. PARAMETERS
o $color - The number of the color to retrieve information for. May be one of the pre-defined color constants. o $r - A reference to which to return the red component of the color. The value returned to the reference will be between 0 and 1000. o $g - A reference to which to return the green component of the color. The value returned to the reference will be between 0 and 1000. o $b - A reference to which to return the blue component of the color. The value returned to the reference will be between 0 and 1000. RETURN VALUES
Returns -1 if the function was successful, and 0 if ncurses or terminal color capabilities have not been initialized. SEE ALSO
ncurses_init_color(3), ncurses_start_color(3). PHP Documentation Group NCURSES_COLOR_CONTENT(3)