Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find multiple strings within files under a directory Post 302670337 by frum on Thursday 12th of July 2012 02:55:32 AM
Old 07-12-2012
How to find multiple strings within files under a directory

Hi guys,

I need to find multiple strings within files under a directory and secondly, to count how many files are there with these strings.

At present, i am able to do this in order to find one string (for example "abc"):
Code:
find <path> -exec grep "abc" {} /dev/null \;

Now for example, i need to find "abc" and "cde" as well, then how would i do this? And also how can i count how many files are there that contain "abc" and "cde"?

regards.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data.

Last edited by zaxxon; 07-12-2012 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the latest files in multiple directory

I want to get the latest files from multiple directories, d1, d2,d3 and d4 under the parent dierectoy d. can anyone help out with this? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyork2001
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best method of replacing multiple strings in multiple files - sed or awk? most simple preferred :)

Hi guys, say I have a few files in a directory (58 text files or somthing) each one contains mulitple strings that I wish to replace with other strings so in these 58 files I'm looking for say the following strings: JAM (replace with BUTTER) BREAD (replace with CRACKER) SCOOP (replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files with in the current directory.

Hello friends, Plz suggest the find command, How to search a string in a paticular string in miltiple files with current dirctory.:) Thanks in advance. Siva Ranganath Ch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find and replace strings in multiple files

Hi All, Iam new to unix, I need to find string and replace it in the file name. Like text_123_0.txt,text_123_1.txt,text_123_2.txt. I need to search 123 and replace it with 234 . Is there any unix command to replace them in single command since i have 5 directories. So i need to go each and every... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Multiple Strings from a list of *.gz files withour decompressing...

Hello Team, There is this situation where there are around 20 *.gz files and i want to search multiple words from all those files. Example as below : filea.gz fileb.gz filec.gz now i want to search words "hi" and "hello" from all these 3 files without... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun87
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep strings on multiple files and output to multiple files

Hi All, I want to use egrep on multiple files and the results should be output to multiple files. I am using the below code in my shell script(working in Ksh shell). However with this code I am not attaining the desired results. #!/bin/ksh ( a="/path/file1" b="path/file2" for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
STRVERSCMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     STRVERSCMP(3)

NAME
strverscmp - compare two version strings SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <string.h> int strverscmp(const char *s1, const char *s2); DESCRIPTION
Often one has files jan1, jan2, ..., jan9, jan10, ... and it feels wrong when ls(1) orders them jan1, jan10, ..., jan2, ..., jan9. In order to rectify this, GNU introduced the -v option to ls(1), which is implemented using versionsort(3), which again uses strverscmp(). Thus, the task of strverscmp() is to compare two strings and find the "right" order, while strcmp(3) only finds the lexicographic order. This function does not use the locale category LC_COLLATE, so is meant mostly for situations where the strings are expected to be in ASCII. What this function does is the following. If both strings are equal, return 0. Otherwise find the position between two bytes with the property that before it both strings are equal, while directly after it there is a difference. Find the largest consecutive digit strings containing (or starting at, or ending at) this position. If one or both of these is empty, then return what strcmp(3) would have returned (numerical ordering of byte values). Otherwise, compare both digit strings numerically, where digit strings with one or more leading zeros are interpreted as if they have a decimal point in front (so that in particular digit strings with more leading zeros come before digit strings with fewer leading zeros). Thus, the ordering is 000, 00, 01, 010, 09, 0, 1, 9, 10. RETURN VALUE
The strverscmp() function returns an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if s1 is found, respectively, to be earlier than, equal to, or later than s2. CONFORMING TO
This function is a GNU extension. SEE ALSO
rename(1), strcasecmp(3), strcmp(3), strcoll(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2001-12-19 STRVERSCMP(3)