Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Filetype conversion error (showing ascii instead of data) Post 302669721 by vbe on Wednesday 11th of July 2012 09:02:42 AM
Old 07-11-2012
UTF is not a data type nor a format... its a character set...
If I understand, your file is formatted with a header, data section, footer.
the data inside your data section uses UTF char-set,
When no data present you have no need of UTF... so yes you will see plain ASCII...

Last edited by vbe; 07-11-2012 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ascii conversion

after converting my ebcidic file to ascii i get the following output 2097152+0 records in 1797345+1 records out Why is there a difference in number of records. Is the converson chopping off any records. All i am doing is just a conversion using the following script dd if=xaa cbs=152 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rintingtong
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ascii to ebcdic conversion

Hello, I need a program for ascii to ebsdic conversion. If anybody can help, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File conversion to ascii

Hi All, I have a data file which has binary and hexa decimal data..i tried to convert that file using dd and od commands but i am getting some numbers and junk values... Please let me know is there any other command which can convert this file to ascill. Awaiting your responses -Mora (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mora
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with ASCII conversion

I have a file say "codefile" here ,contains data like this Hi! How are you? I need to covert this data into stram of equivalant ASCII values I wrote follwoing script. #!/bin/bash while read -n1 char do printf "%d" \'$char done < codefile this gives me output ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with ascii to decimal conversion

Hi, Can anyone please help me ascci to decimal conversion in bash I have a file which contains stream of numbers like this,these are ascci values 729711810132973278105991013268971213233 I want to covert it to its actual value like upper code's decimal is "Have a Nice Day!" ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
15 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conversion from EBCDIC to ASCII

when i try to convert a mainframe EBCDIC file to ASCII ,i dont see correct file this is the source file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatvelpula
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

binary to ascii conversion

Hi, I have got a library file, created by compiling C code. The file information with "file" command, gives it a "application/x-archive" type file. I want to extract the release string of my software from this file, so that i can know which version of C files were used to create the lib. Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulmt
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Conversion of data - ebcdic to ascii

Hi, I want to convert ebcdic values to ascii values. Are there anyany specific c++ libraries with g++ compiler, which can do it ? gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-54) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

Hi, I have a input file which is EBCIDIC and it has packed decimals. Can anyone help me to convert EBCIDIC file to ASCII(Need to convert even Packed decimal values also to normal format). Thanks swapna (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapna_1990
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

Hi, We have a mainframe file which is in EBCDIC format.We dont have direct access to mainframe ,client has provided us the mainframe file.The mainframe file is containing pact data(COMP1 ,COMP2 etc) which are unreadble.Can anyone suggest me how to convert this kind of ebcdic file to ascii... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapna_1990
11 Replies
libcaca character set conversions(3caca)			      libcaca				  libcaca character set conversions(3caca)

NAME
libcaca character set conversions - Functions __extern uint32_t caca_utf8_to_utf32 (char const *, size_t *) Convert a UTF-8 character to UTF-32. __extern size_t caca_utf32_to_utf8 (char *, uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to UTF-8. __extern uint8_t caca_utf32_to_cp437 (uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to CP437. __extern uint32_t caca_cp437_to_utf32 (uint8_t) Convert a CP437 character to UTF-32. __extern char caca_utf32_to_ascii (uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to ASCII. __extern int caca_utf32_is_fullwidth (uint32_t) Tell whether a UTF-32 character is fullwidth. Detailed Description These functions perform conversions between usual character sets. Function Documentation __extern uint32_t caca_utf8_to_utf32 (char const *s, size_t *bytes) Convert a UTF-8 character read from a string and return its value in the UTF-32 character set. If the second argument is not null, the total number of read bytes is written in it. If a null byte was reached before the expected end of the UTF-8 sequence, this function returns zero and the number of read bytes is set to zero. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-8 sequences is undefined. Parameters: s A string containing the UTF-8 character. bytes A pointer to a size_t to store the number of bytes in the character, or NULL. Returns: The corresponding UTF-32 character, or zero if the character is incomplete. Referenced by caca_put_str(). __extern size_t caca_utf32_to_utf8 (char *buf, uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character read from a string and write its value in the UTF-8 character set into the given buffer. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-32 characters is undefined. Parameters: buf A pointer to a character buffer where the UTF-8 sequence will be written. ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The number of bytes written. __extern uint8_t caca_utf32_to_cp437 (uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character read from a string and return its value in the CP437 character set, or '?' if the character has no equivalent. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The corresponding CP437 character, or '?' if not representable. __extern uint32_t caca_cp437_to_utf32 (uint8_tch) Convert a CP437 character read from a string and return its value in the UTF-32 character set, or zero if the character is a CP437 control character. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The CP437 character. Returns: The corresponding UTF-32 character, or zero if not representable. __extern char caca_utf32_to_ascii (uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character into an ASCII character. When no equivalent exists, a graphically close equivalent is sought. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-32 characters is undefined. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The corresponding ASCII character, or a graphically close equivalent if found, or '?' if not representable. __extern int caca_utf32_is_fullwidth (uint32_tch) Check whether the given UTF-32 character should be printed at twice the normal width (fullwidth characters). If the character is unknown or if its status cannot be decided, it is treated as a standard-width character. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: 1 if the character is fullwidth, 0 otherwise. Referenced by caca_put_char(), and caca_put_str(). Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libcaca from the source code. Version 0.99.beta18 Fri Apr 6 2012 libcaca character set conversions(3caca)