Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Filter command arguments
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Filter command arguments Post 302669319 by Learn4Life on Tuesday 10th of July 2012 11:39:13 PM
Old 07-11-2012
Quote:
..All these shells have an arithmetic facility and while what you do is syntactically correct using "expr" like you do is ancient, antiquated, deprecated and ultimately discouraged. See the "(( ... ))" in the man page of your shell and you will understand why.
The reason I use the expr command is because I have to; that is part of the assignment.

All I want to do is to use reg expressions to check whether the user typed in strings instead of integers. It seems that I don't get the regular expression to work in my control flow statements. Thats all I want to do Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP Command with several arguments

Hi! $ more file yoyo haha lili ... i want to test if a "grep yoyo AND lili" works in this file. In fact, my script will carry on only if it finds in the same line "yoyo" AND "lili" How can i do? Thx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arguments in command line

Hi all, How many arguments can we pass while testing a prgm at command line.. I encountered an issue while passing 10 arguments. For $10 its taking argument passed for $1 followed by 'zero'. can we pass more than 9 arguments /Is there any other way. Thanks, rrs (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
6 Replies

3. HP-UX

get whole command arguments in ps -ef?

Hello All, I want to build some monitoring of processes in HP-UX 11.x. Is there any way to get the whole set of commands and arguments instead of the first 60 characters? I read that there's a limitation of the ps -ef command that we can't overcome. In this case is there any other command... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: usfrog
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to filter `last` command for yesterday only

Hi Expert, May I know how to filter `last` command out put for yesterday only ? my `last` command out put: user1 pts/3 192.168.0.12 Wed Jun 25 03:58 still logged in user1 pts/3 192.168.0.33 Wed Jun 23 02:08 - 09:58 (00:49) user2 pts/1 192.168.0.21 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skully
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line arguments.

I am working on a script wherein i need the user to enter the Build ID for eg:the command line will show enter the build ID Now on entering the build ID it should be assigned to @ARGV. How can this be done.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Varghese
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter grep command

I have ran into a small issue and I am not sure how to fix it. In one of our current scripts we have this line which does a grep to get the pid of the process. ps -ef | grep nco_p_syslog | grep $x | awk '{print $2}' However this is not returning anything due to the how long the value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line arguments

hi, can someone how to accept command line arguments as a variable using in script? like: ./scriptname arguments by accept arguments, I can use it in my script? thx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Using tail with the filter command

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Devise a chain of filters using some or all of the following programs pr, cut, cat, tail to display a numbered... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbell221
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of awk to filter out the command output

Hi All, I am trying to find out number of cores present for hp-ux server from the output of print_manifest (as shown below). i suppose awk will be best tool to use for filtering. output of print_manifest is : System Hardware Model: ia64 hp Integrity Virtual Partition ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter pattern in grep command

Hi, I am having a file like below hello how are you hello... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
5 Replies
fmlexpr(1F)							   FMLI Commands						       fmlexpr(1F)

NAME
fmlexpr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
fmlexpr arguments DESCRIPTION
The fmlexpr function evaluates its arguments as an expression. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Terms of the expression must be separated by blanks. Characters special to FMLI must be escaped. Note that 30 is returned to indicate a zero value, rather than the null string. Strings containing blanks or other special characters should be quoted. Integer-valued arguments may be pre- ceded by a unary minus sign. Internally, integers are treated as 32-bit, 2s complement numbers. The operators and keywords are listed below. Characters that need to be escaped are preceded by . The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped within {} symbols. USAGE
Expressions expr | expr Returns the first expr if it is neither NULL nor 0, otherwise returns the second expr. expr & expr Returns the first expr if neither expr is NULL or 0, otherwise returns 0. expr { =, >, >=, <, <=, != } expr Returns the result of an integer comparison if both arguments are integers, otherwise returns the result of a lexical comparison. expr { +, - } expr Addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr { *, /, % } expr Multiplication, division, or remainder of the integer-valued arguments. expr : expr The matching operator : (colon) compares the first argument with the second argument which must be a regular expression. Regular expression syntax is the same as that of ed(1), except that all patterns are "anchored" (that is, begin with ^) and, therefore, ^ is not a special character, in that context. Normally, the matching operator returns the number of bytes matched (0 on failure). Alterna- tively, the (...) pattern symbols can be used to return a portion of the first argument. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Incrementing a variable Add 1 to the variable a: example% fmlexpr $a + 1 | set -l a Example 2: Setting a variable equal to a filename For $a equal to either /usr/abc/file or just file: example% fmlexpr $a : .*/(.*) | $a returns the last segment of a path name (that is, file). Watch out for / alone as an argument: fmlexpr will take it as the division opera- tor (see NOTES below). Example 3: A better representation of Example 2 example% fmlexpr //$a : .*/(.*) The addition of the // characters eliminates any ambiguity about the division operator (because it makes it impossible for the left-hand expression to be interpreted as the division operator), and simplifies the whole expression. Example 4: Counting characters in a variable Return the number of characters in $VAR: example% fmlexpr $VAR : .* EXIT STATUS
As a side effect of expression evaluation, fmlexpr returns the following exit values: 0 if the expression is neither NULL nor 0 (that is, TRUE) 1 if the expression is NULL or 0 (that is, FALSE) 2 for invalid expressions (that is, FALSE). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), expr(1), set(1F), sh(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
syntax error for operator/operand errors non-numeric argument if arithmetic is attempted on such a string In the case of syntax errors and non-numeric arguments, an error message will be printed at the current cursor position. Use refresh to redraw the screen. NOTES
After argument processing by FMLI, fmlexpr cannot tell the difference between an operator and an operand except by the value. If $a is an =, the command: example% fmlexpr $a = = looks like: example% fmlexpr = = = as the arguments are passed to fmlexpr (and they will all be taken as the = operator). The following works, and returns TRUE: example% fmlexpr X$a = X= SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 fmlexpr(1F)