Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Facing issues with tar and gzip ! Post 302669029 by Corona688 on Tuesday 10th of July 2012 10:48:02 AM
Old 07-10-2012
Of course it gets larger!

Day 1: you archive today.og
day 2: you archive yesterday.log, today.log
day 3: you archive 2 days ago.log, yesterday.log, today.log
...and so on.

This is not strange or unexpected.

Solution: Don't do that. Either delete the old files after archiving them, or exclude them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i tar and gzip in one liner ?

hello can i combine this 2 commands in one liner command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TAR and GZIP help

Hi, There are 700 .pdf files in a certain directory on the server and I need to TAR them first and then compress them using GZIP to free up the space. The combined size of the .pdf files is 3gb. However, there is only 1gb of free space on the server. So as you can see when I try to TAR these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VandeMatram
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar/gzip/gz...which one to use?

P0251WLADC.svm_wl1 > /svm_wl1/billing/data/server/archive/ALLEVT $ du -k FEB2006 22050224 FEB2006 As you can see,i have a folder called "FEB2006" which is around 22 GB. i guess zip or compress wont work...( i don know how do we compress a folder) i wished to use ""tar" ( i suppose... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar and gzip

Hi, I would like to have a combined gzip and tar that will compress and create multiple output tar.gz files. I want to have multiple files output because i cannot create an archive because there is no more space on my harddisk. I cannot transfer it locally because of slow connection. I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and gzip extraction issues

Not sure if this is really in the right forum but here goes.... Looking for a way to extract individual compressed files from a compressed tarball WITHOUT tar -zxvf and then recompressing. Basically we need to be able to chunk out an individual compressed file while it still remains... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: athos
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Facing issues while running a cronjob !

Hi, I am trying to run a cronjob. But while doing so I am getting the following error message :- can't open yourfile in /var/spool/cron/crontabs directory. No such file or directory How can I resolve this issue ? Please help. Thanks Please view this code tag video for... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidburn_007
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with cronjobs

Hello Everyone, We have a cronjob scheduled to pick up files from one system and transfer to another system. the underlying code is a shell script. These cronjobs were working correctly until sometime. 2 days back they did not pick up the scripts but created empty logs. However when we tried... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rads
6 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Regarding facing issues while accessing UNIX.com site

Hello Moderators/Admins, This is regarding an issue which I am facing from last 7 to 8 days. Issue is while trying to access this forum(simple hitting http://unix.com) I am able to login but many times my request gets timed out or 404 error or if I am able to login it will be excessive slow even... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with rsync

Hello Gurus, I am running rsync command to copy certain Directories and files into that directories to remote server. While ruuning the command all teh files has been copied but I am facing error. The below command I am executing to copy Directories and files to remote server: rsync -avrz ssh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with shell script changes

My current requirement is to replace xxyxx string with value of date date1 variable holds a date and the current script writes html tags to a file as follows echo date1 nawk 'BEGIN{ FS="," print "<HTML>""<HEAD>""<p>Hi All,<br><br>There are no cases closed on the xxyxx" print ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh A S
2 Replies
PMFETCHARCHIVE(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PMFETCHARCHIVE(3)

NAME
pmFetchArchive - get performance metrics directly from an archive log C SYNOPSIS
#include <pcp/pmapi.h> int pmFetchArchive(pmResult **result); cc ... -lpcp DESCRIPTION
pmFetchArchive is a variant of pmFetch(3) that may only be used when the current Performance Metrics Application Programming Interface (PMAPI) context is associated with an archive log. The result is instantiated with all of the metrics (and instances) from the next archive record, consequently there is no notion of a list of desired metrics, and the instance profile of the PMAPI context is ignored. It is expected that pmFetchArchive would be used to create utilities that scan archive logs, while the more common access to the archives would be via the pmFetch(3) interface. To skip records within the archive log, use pmSetMode(3) to change the collection time within the current PMAPI context, then call pmFetchArchive. Note that the result returned by pmFetchArchive is dynamically allocated, and must be released using pmFreeResult(3), not free(3C). See pmFetch(3) and pmFreeResult(3) for further details. pmFetchArchive returns zero on success. SEE ALSO
PMAPI(3), pmFetch(3), pmFreeResult(3), pmNewContext(3), pmSetMode(3) and pmTrimNameSpace(3). DIAGNOSTICS
PM_ERR_NOTARCHIVE the current PMAPI context is not associated with an archive log Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMFETCHARCHIVE(3)