Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Facing issues with tar and gzip ! Post 302668565 by acidburn_007 on Monday 9th of July 2012 11:46:32 AM
Old 07-09-2012
hey Methyl & Corona688 thanks a lot for the prompt reply !!

Could you please let me know the way. So that the tar archieve doesn't gets included and which in turn doesn't increase the file size !

Please let me know the way/ solution to resolve this issue.

What modifications needs to be done in the script so that this type of problem doesn't occurs !!!

Thanks in advance !

---------- Post updated at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:08 PM ----------

An update !

After taking the backup of the parent file. I run the following command to make the parent file of size 0 :-

HTML Code:

cat /dev/null > BLUESTAR_Archive.log

What I am confused at is that after taking the backup and making the parent file contents nill i.e. size 0 !!!

Then also after ding the tar and gzip task on a file. The file size still keeps on increasing !!!

I don't understand why this is happening ??

Last edited by acidburn_007; 07-10-2012 at 04:41 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i tar and gzip in one liner ?

hello can i combine this 2 commands in one liner command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TAR and GZIP help

Hi, There are 700 .pdf files in a certain directory on the server and I need to TAR them first and then compress them using GZIP to free up the space. The combined size of the .pdf files is 3gb. However, there is only 1gb of free space on the server. So as you can see when I try to TAR these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VandeMatram
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar/gzip/gz...which one to use?

P0251WLADC.svm_wl1 > /svm_wl1/billing/data/server/archive/ALLEVT $ du -k FEB2006 22050224 FEB2006 As you can see,i have a folder called "FEB2006" which is around 22 GB. i guess zip or compress wont work...( i don know how do we compress a folder) i wished to use ""tar" ( i suppose... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar and gzip

Hi, I would like to have a combined gzip and tar that will compress and create multiple output tar.gz files. I want to have multiple files output because i cannot create an archive because there is no more space on my harddisk. I cannot transfer it locally because of slow connection. I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and gzip extraction issues

Not sure if this is really in the right forum but here goes.... Looking for a way to extract individual compressed files from a compressed tarball WITHOUT tar -zxvf and then recompressing. Basically we need to be able to chunk out an individual compressed file while it still remains... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: athos
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Facing issues while running a cronjob !

Hi, I am trying to run a cronjob. But while doing so I am getting the following error message :- can't open yourfile in /var/spool/cron/crontabs directory. No such file or directory How can I resolve this issue ? Please help. Thanks Please view this code tag video for... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidburn_007
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with cronjobs

Hello Everyone, We have a cronjob scheduled to pick up files from one system and transfer to another system. the underlying code is a shell script. These cronjobs were working correctly until sometime. 2 days back they did not pick up the scripts but created empty logs. However when we tried... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rads
6 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Regarding facing issues while accessing UNIX.com site

Hello Moderators/Admins, This is regarding an issue which I am facing from last 7 to 8 days. Issue is while trying to access this forum(simple hitting http://unix.com) I am able to login but many times my request gets timed out or 404 error or if I am able to login it will be excessive slow even... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with rsync

Hello Gurus, I am running rsync command to copy certain Directories and files into that directories to remote server. While ruuning the command all teh files has been copied but I am facing error. The below command I am executing to copy Directories and files to remote server: rsync -avrz ssh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with shell script changes

My current requirement is to replace xxyxx string with value of date date1 variable holds a date and the current script writes html tags to a file as follows echo date1 nawk 'BEGIN{ FS="," print "<HTML>""<HEAD>""<p>Hi All,<br><br>There are no cases closed on the xxyxx" print ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh A S
2 Replies
SEIVOT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SEIVOT(1)

NAME
seivot - benchmark backup application (obnam) SYNOPSIS
seivot [--benchmark-fsck] [--config=FILE] [--description=TEXT] [--drop-caches] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--encrypt-with=KEYID] [--file-size=SIZE] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [--generations=COUNT] [-h] [--help] [--incremental-data=SIZE] [--initial-data=SIZE] [--larch-branch=LARCH-BRANCH] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--log-mode=MODE] [--no-default-configs] [--obnam-branch=OBNAM-BRANCH] [--obnam-config=FILE] [--obnam-profile=NAMEPATTERN] [--output=FILE] [--profile-name=PROFILE-NAME] [--program=PROGRAM] [--sftp-delay=SFTP-DELAY] [--use-existing=DIR] [--use-sftp-repository] [--use-sftp-root] [--verify] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
seivot benchmarks a backup application. It has been written primarily for obnam(1), but could be extended for other backup applications. seivot generates some live data using genbackupdata(1), and then runs the backup application. It then generates some more live data, and runs a second backup generation, etc. It stores the measurements in an output file. See seivots-summary(1) for a tool to show data from such files in a tabular fashion. (seivot does not itself show the tabular data, because one is rarely interested in the output from just one run, and instead wants to contrast it with other runs). OPTIONS
--benchmark-fsck benchmark fsck? --config=FILE add FILE to config files --description=TEXT free-form description of this backup run --drop-caches clear Linux kernel cache before running commands (will ask for sudo pasword --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --encrypt-with=KEYID encrypt backups with KEYID --file-size=SIZE size of files to create --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE --generations=COUNT total number of generations to measure (5) -h, --help show this help message and exit --incremental-data=SIZE add SIZE live data for additional generations (1024) --initial-data=SIZE size of initial live data (1024) --larch-branch=LARCH-BRANCH bzr branch from which to use larch (default is installed larch) --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log, or "none" to disable log- ging --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --log-mode=MODE set permissions of new log files to MODE (octal; default 0600) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --obnam-branch=OBNAM-BRANCH bzr branch from which to run obnam (default is installed obnam) --obnam-config=FILE use FILE as an Obnam configuration file --obnam-profile=NAMEPATTERN store Python profiling output in files named after NAMEPATTERN (no profiling, unless set); %(foo)s in pattern gets filled in, where foo is op (for backup/restore/etc), gen, or order (cumulative/time) --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output --profile-name=PROFILE-NAME name of backup use-case profile name (for documentation purposes only) --program=PROGRAM program to benchmark (obnam) --sftp-delay=SFTP-DELAY add an artificial delay (in milliseconds) to all SFTP transfers --use-existing=DIR use exiting DIR for initial generation --use-sftp-repository access backup repository over the network via sftp --use-sftp-root access backup repository over the network via sftp --verify verify restored data --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To run a simple benchmark: seivot --initial-data=10G --incremental-data=1G SEE ALSO
seivots-summary(1), obnam(1). SEIVOT(1)