Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Faster Line by Line String/Date Comparison of 2 Files Post 302668319 by clx on Monday 9th of July 2012 06:36:17 AM
Old 07-09-2012
How BIG your lookup file is?

Quote:
i have to cycle through 10 directories with 10 files each containing thousands of lines.
Can you get the approx stats of line? How many thousands?

Also, tell us about the O/S and shell version.

Last edited by clx; 07-09-2012 at 07:46 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

line by line file comparison

I have sifted through many past posts but have not found a good solution. I have a 2 files that hold a filename and its cksum value like this: FILE1 contents: 45435347589 filename1 FILE1 is from the directory structure of one host and FILE2 is generated from a rsh: host2 cksum command. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbreed1
1 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Date comparison with 'string date having slashes and time zone' in Bash only

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have standard web server log file. It contains different columns (like IP address, request result code, request type etc) including a date column with the format . I have developed a log analysis command line utility that displays... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TariqYousaf
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison: All lines in file but each within line

Hi folks, I'm trying to do a bit of extra monitoring on who is sending mail through our server and as I'm sure you'll understand, the log files aren't exactly small. As a note, I'm working to sort out a solution to this myself, so I'll keep editing the post when I get a chance. Here an example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beddo
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the contents of two files line by line and compare the line by line?

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out which are the trusted-ips and which are not using a script file.. I have a file named 'ip-list.txt' which contains some ip addresses and another file named 'trusted-ip-list.txt' which also contains some ip addresses. I want to read a line from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in column comparison & adding extra line to files

Hi, I wanted to check whether the x,y,z coordinates of two files are equal or not. At times, when one file is converted to another suitable file extension , there are some chances that the data mismatch would happen during the conversion. In order to avoid the data misfit, i would like to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: b@l@ji
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of fields then increment a counter reading line by line in a file

Hi, i have a scenario were i should compare a few fields from each line then increment a variable based on that. Example file 989878|8999|Y|0|Y|N|V 989878|8999|Y|0|N|N|V 989878|8999|Y|2344|Y|N|V i have 3 conditions to check and increment a variable on every line condition 1 if ( $3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add Date string at end of line

HOWTO Append Date String (MMYYYY) to End of Line file A.txt B.txt Output: A_052014.txt B_052014.txt (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish1222
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - 2 files comparison without for loop - multi-line issue

Greetings Experts, I need to handle the views created over monthly retention tables for which every new table in YYYYMMDD format, there is equivalent view created and the older table which might be dropped, the view over it has to be re-created over a dummy table so that it doesn't fail.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
2 Replies
Test::BDD::Cucumber::Model::Line(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		     Test::BDD::Cucumber::Model::Line(3pm)

NAME
Test::BDD::Cucumber::Model::Line - Model to represent a line in a feature file VERSION
version 0.11 DESCRIPTION
Model to represent a line in a feature file ATTRIBUTES
number The line number this line represents document The Test::BDD::Cucumber::Model::Document object this line belongs to. raw_content The content of the line, unmodified METHODS
indent Returns the number of preceding spaces before content on a line content Returns the line's content, with the indentation stripped content_remove_indentation Accepts an int of number of spaces, and returns the content with exactly that many preceding spaces removed. debug_summary Returns a string with the filename and line number filename Returns either the filename, or the string "[String]" if the document was loaded from a string is_blank is_comment Return true if the line is either blank, or is a comment. AUTHOR
Peter Sergeant "pete@clueball.com" LICENSE
Copyright 2011, Peter Sergeant; Licensed under the same terms as Perl perl v5.14.2 2012-05-20 Test::BDD::Cucumber::Model::Line(3pm)