Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed behaving oddly, repeats lines Post 302667845 by PikK45 on Saturday 7th of July 2012 02:42:30 PM
Old 07-07-2012
I get that clearly.

So what if I want to just get the characters between how and today??

Isn't this sed-1-liner supposed to do that?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for repeats in text file - how?

I have a text file that I want to search for repeated lines and print those lines. These would be lines in the file that appear more than once. Is there a way to do this? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarondesk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and cut behaving differently

I have attached a file with few records. First 2 characters of each record are binary characters. I can remove it by and it works fine. But is behaving differently and removing more than expected characters. Can someone help me in accomplishing it through sed? Thanks in advance. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicon007
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk repeats counter

if I wanted to know if the word DOG(followed by several random numbers) appears in col 1, how many times will that same word DOG* appeared in col 2? This is a very large file Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't figure out why this repeats

#!/bin/sh while IFS=: read address port; do : ${port:=443} address=$address port=$port cd $f_location number=`grep "$address" thing.txt -A 1 | grep "addresses=" | cut -d'"' -f2` echo "$address,$port,$number,$answer" >>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade917
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove brackets repeats and separate in columns

Hi all, I want to remove the remove bracket sign ( ) and put in the separate column I also want to remove the repeated entry like in first row in below input (PA156) is repeated ESR1 (PA156) leflunomide (PA450192) (PA156) leflunomide (PA450192) CHST3 (PA26503) docetaxel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Remove oddly named file

I accidentally saved a txt file in vi with the name ":q!". no amount of regex tomfoolery I can think of will allow me to remove the file. anyone got any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed parser behaving strange on replacing multiple words in multiple files

I have 4000 files like $cat clus_grp_seq10_g.phy 18 1002 anig_OJJ65951_1 ATGGTTTCGCAGCGTGATAGAGAATTGTTTAGGGATGATATTCGCTCGCGAGGAACGAAGCTCAATGCTGCCGAGCGCGAGAGTCTGCTAAGGCCATATCTGCCAGATCCGTCTGACCTTCCACGCAGGCCACTTCAGCGGCGCAAGAAGGTTCCTCG aver_OOF92921_1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammy777888
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Non printing option in sed is behaving oddly

Hi I'm having a problem with a sed command that I thought I was using correctly but apparently that's not the case. I was hoping someone here could point out what it is I am doing wrong? I am using the print, no print option for a matched pattern in sed. Everything seemed to be working fine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Non printing option in sed is behaving oddly

Hi I'm having a problem with a sed command that I thought I was using correctly but apparently that's not the case. I was hoping someone here could point out what it is I am doing wrong? I am using the print, no print option for a matched pattern in sed. Everything seemed to be working fine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harveyclayton
2 Replies
Symbol(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       Symbol(3pm)

NAME
Symbol - manipulate Perl symbols and their names SYNOPSIS
use Symbol; $sym = gensym; open($sym, "filename"); $_ = <$sym>; # etc. ungensym $sym; # no effect # replace *FOO{IO} handle but not $FOO, %FOO, etc. *FOO = geniosym; print qualify("x"), " "; # "main::x" print qualify("x", "FOO"), " "; # "FOO::x" print qualify("BAR::x"), " "; # "BAR::x" print qualify("BAR::x", "FOO"), " "; # "BAR::x" print qualify("STDOUT", "FOO"), " "; # "main::STDOUT" (global) print qualify(*x), " "; # returns *x print qualify(*x, "FOO"), " "; # returns *x use strict refs; print { qualify_to_ref $fh } "foo! "; $ref = qualify_to_ref $name, $pkg; use Symbol qw(delete_package); delete_package('Foo::Bar'); print "deleted " unless exists $Foo::{'Bar::'}; DESCRIPTION
"Symbol::gensym" creates an anonymous glob and returns a reference to it. Such a glob reference can be used as a file or directory handle. For backward compatibility with older implementations that didn't support anonymous globs, "Symbol::ungensym" is also provided. But it doesn't do anything. "Symbol::geniosym" creates an anonymous IO handle. This can be assigned into an existing glob without affecting the non-IO portions of the glob. "Symbol::qualify" turns unqualified symbol names into qualified variable names (e.g. "myvar" -> "MyPackage::myvar"). If it is given a second parameter, "qualify" uses it as the default package; otherwise, it uses the package of its caller. Regardless, global variable names (e.g. "STDOUT", "ENV", "SIG") are always qualified with "main::". Qualification applies only to symbol names (strings). References are left unchanged under the assumption that they are glob references, which are qualified by their nature. "Symbol::qualify_to_ref" is just like "Symbol::qualify" except that it returns a glob ref rather than a symbol name, so you can use the result even if "use strict 'refs'" is in effect. "Symbol::delete_package" wipes out a whole package namespace. Note this routine is not exported by default--you may want to import it explicitly. BUGS
"Symbol::delete_package" is a bit too powerful. It undefines every symbol that lives in the specified package. Since perl, for performance reasons, does not perform a symbol table lookup each time a function is called or a global variable is accessed, some code that has already been loaded and that makes use of symbols in package "Foo" may stop working after you delete "Foo", even if you reload the "Foo" module afterwards. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Symbol(3pm)