Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How to delete files from a specific date? Post 302667825 by alister on Saturday 7th of July 2012 11:44:45 AM
Old 07-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkasaurus
i seriously do not recommend using "find" for this problem, as (as you know) it searches recursively...
i prefer the straightforward approach:
I seriously recommend against recommending to not use find for this task Smilie.

find does not have to recurse into subdirectories if that is not desired. On GNU/Linux and *BSD systems, all finds support -maxdepth n. On systems that do not support that primary, the following gets the job done:
Code:
find "$path" ! -name "$path" -prune ...

Your "straightforward approach" is actually more complicated, brittle, and error prone. In addition to all the reasons mentioned by agama in post #6, filenames with whitespace will not make it through intact.

grep/awk are misc text processing tools. find's primaries know what they're looking at. In my opinion, find is the right tool for the job.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files in specific directory

i have a directory "ABC" with lots of old files and sub directories in it. the issue now is i want to delete away files which are older than 15 days in "ABC" without deleting the files in the sub directories and without deleting the sub directory. i tried using find command but it will drill down... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete specific files only

Hello, I have these files in my directory. ABC123 ABC12.sls.20080809111121 ABC233 ABC12.sls.20080403123212 ABC543 ABC12.sls.20080804231212 ABC323 ABC12.sls.20080809111232 ABC765 ABC12.sls.20080809112343 ABC654 ABC12.sls.20080809113133 I want to delete only files in first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.scientist
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I delete all files that contain specific text?

Hi all, I want to remove the files from a folder whcih contain a specific text in it. eg: If i have the files like xxxx.NAME.adadd.ajfaj.kjfha agsg.NAME.dfshd.djsh.sdjhf asgd.NAME2.sdhj.djhf.sjdhf shdd.NAME2.dhse.tywe.eyio How to remove the files which contain the pattern "NAME"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines prior to a specific date in a log file.

Hi all. I have a database log file in which log data get appended to it daily. I want to do a automatic maintainence of this log by going through the log and deleting lines belonging to a certain date. How should i do it? Please help. Thanks. Example. To delete all lines prior to Jun... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files created before specific date.

There is a system logging a huge amount of data and we need to delete some of the older logs .I mean the files that are created before one week from today. Here is a listing of files that are sitting there: /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/logs # ls -l -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 3740694 May... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: moustafashawky
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete files in specific dir

I've got a problem how to delete files from specific directory. I don't want do it recursively but only in specific directory. So, command like find /home/dirname/ -mtime +8 -type f -exec rm {} \; is not for me because this command will remove ifs files in /home/dirname and all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zukes
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files if another files in the same directory has a matching occurence of a specific word

Hello, I have several files in a specific directory. A specific string in one file can occur in another files. If this string is in other files. Then all the files in which this string occured should be deleted and only 1 file should remain with the string. Example. file1 ShortName "Blue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: premier_de
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete file with specific date

let say i have list of file PermissionsDirectoriesGroupSizeDateDirectory or file drwx------2users4096Nov 2 19:51mailv drwxr-s---35www 32768Jan 20 22:39public_htmlt drwx------ 2 users 4096 Nov 2 19:51 mail drwxr-s--- 35 www 32768 Jan 20 22:39 public_html drwxr-s--- 35 www 32768 Jan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log files content older than 30 days and append the lastest date log file date

To delete log files content older than 30 days and append the lastest date log file date in the respective logs I want to write a shell script that deletes all log files content older than 30 days and append the lastest log file date in the respective logs This is my script cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreekumarhari
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files if another files in the same directory has a matching occurrence of a specific word

he following are the files available in my directory RSK_123_20141113_031500.txt RSK_123_20141113_081500.txt RSK_126_20141113_041500.txt RSK_126_20141113_081800.txt RSK_128_20141113_091600.txt Here, "RSK" is file prefix and 123 is a code name and rest is just timestamp of the file when its... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kridhick
7 Replies
TRIMHISTORY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    TRIMHISTORY(8)

NAME
trimhistory - Remove old Xymon history-log entries SYNOPSIS
trimhistory --cutoff=TIME [options] DESCRIPTION
The trimhistory tool is used to purge old entries from the Xymon history logs. These logfiles accumulate information about all status changes that have occurred for any given service, host, or the entire Xymon system, and is used to generate the event- and history-log web- pages. Purging old entries can be done while Xymon is running, since the tool takes care not to commit updates to a file if it changes mid-way through the operation. In that case, the update is aborted and the existing logfile is left untouched. Optionally, this tool will also remove logfiles from hosts that are no longer defined in the Xymon bb-hosts(5) file. As an extension, even logfiles from services can be removed, if the service no longer has a valid status-report logged in the current Xymon status. OPTIONS
--cutoff=TIME This defines the cutoff-time when processing the history logs. Entries dated before this time are discarded. TIME is specified as the number of seconds since the beginning of the Epoch. This is easily generated by the GNU date(1) utility, e.g. the following com- mand will trim history logs of all entries prior to Oct. 1st 2004: trimhistory --cutoff=`date +%s --date="1 Oct 2004"` --outdir=DIRECTORY Normally, files in the BBHIST directory are replaced. This option causes trimhistory to save the shortened history logfiles to another directory, so you can verify that the operation works as intended. The output directory must exist. --drop Causes trimhistory to delete files from hosts that are not listed in the bb-hosts(5) file. --dropsvcs Causes trimhistory to delete files from services that are not currently tracked by Xymon. Normally these files would be left untouched if only the host exists. --droplogs Process the BBHISTLOGS directory also, and delete status-logs from events prior to the cut-off time. Note that this can dramatically increase the processing time, since there are often lots and lots of files to process. --progress[=N] This will cause trimhistory to output a status line for every N history logs or status-log collections it processes, to indicate how far it has progressed. The default setting for N is 100. --env=FILENAME Loads the environment from FILENAME before executing trimhistory. --debug Enable debugging output. FILES
$BBHIST/allevents The eventlog of all events that have happened in Xymon. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME The per-host eventlogs. $BBHIST/HOSTNAME.SERVICE The per-service eventlogs. $BBHISTLOGS/*/* The historical status-logs. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
BBHIST The directory holding all history logs. BBHISTLOGS The top-level directory for the historical status-log collections. BBHOSTS The location of the bb-hosts file, holding the list of currently known hosts in Xymon. SEE ALSO
xymon(7), bb-hosts(5) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 TRIMHISTORY(8)